Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
choober Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp support assistant wont run after update or uninstall

Hi

Hp support was running its usual health diagnostics, and then it came out with an alert to update to the latest version of HP support Assistant, which i clicked yes and it downloaded the file installed, etc and everything went smooth,

So i try to run Hp support assistant and it says the shortcut could not be found ( im selecting through the HP adviser, as when i tried to run from the start menu it came up with the same thing,

Then i go to my control panel, select programs and features and click on HP support Assistant its version is 4.4.6.3, and try to uninstall it, but i get error message :

Error 1316: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file c:\windows\installer\hp supportassistand.msi

error.jpg

So i then thought ok lets try to download a fresh version and maybe it will overwrite and uninstall the previous version. but i cant do that either, i get this message

error4.jpg

I havent altered my pc, all i did was run the update for hp support assistant.

Id like to get this resolved ASAP. any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2527 199 756
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try to reinstall HP Support assistant from Recovery manager.. Follow the below steps and see if it helps.

Click Start > All Programs> Recovery Manager , and then click Recovery Manager again. Then,Click Software Program Reinstallation .On the Software Program Reinstallation welcome screen, click Next .Select Hp support assistant to reinstall.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
0 Kudos
wabenzer Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That doesn't work for me having the exact errors in the exact sequence. Recovery Manager indicates that I should uninstall HP Support Assistant first, but I can't locate the app in Control Panel>Programs and Features where most of the other HP apps are. So I just now ran Recovery Manager>HP Update and it's asking for a reboot.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PINHEAD
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.26, 2/14/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name PXXXXX\Pxxx
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 994 MB
Total Virtual Memory 7.60 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.19 GB
Page File Space 3.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

0 Kudos
wabenzer Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now I can't stand it anymore, because my Computer Sci Major grades are slipping because of all these errors this 1-year-old crate I'm using nags me with. I give up. I *have to waste a bunch more of my time to get this done. And I acquired a legacy wireless printer, the driver installation to which was failing. HP dumbsmartadvicestupidassistantless wasn't helping at all. But it should... I mean, *shouldn't it? So, I sat down all-day-plus, determined to cast out these demons from my realm. Here's the fix, actually ten I suppose, that worked for me. That's not counting the miscellaneous *hours of half-hearted attempts up to this point:

I was trying to install HPsp52110 HP Support Assistant to ASSIST ME but got: Error 1316: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file c:\windows\installer\hp supportassistand.msi . And I got: ACLM.NET Path setting is failed! . And: HealthCheck Path setting is failed! . And: Error 1316.A Network error. ...Cannot read from C:\Windows\Installer\HP Active Support Library.msi . Then I get "Error 1603 Fatal Error During Installation. consult windows installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information

I ran HPUpdate with no results.

I ran HPFramework sp51976 which didn't help.

I supposed it could be a file contention issue. Now I really wanted to know who had their little grubs on my files and folders so I researched the error which took me to and installed:

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

I immediately found no such condition existed. So, were the files and paths there? I viewed hidden system files in Win Explorer and found paths c:\Windows\Installer and ..\SwSetup but no files (hp supportassistand.msi for example), and some required paths were missing. Now *that's what I'm talking about! Now I can run sp39516

More research led me to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

How to uninstall or remove MS Office 2010 Suites... huh? And then, where is the Windows Installer Cleanup utility MSICUU2.EXE? Well, yeah I *am having a hellofa time with MS Visual Studio 2010 for my C++ and VB projects.

This took me to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Now can I install HP sp39516 Active Support Library and problem solved? No way!

More research, which took me to:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Coincidentally, the past week or two I have found that the MS Fixit utilities fixed my WinUpdate failures haunting my system for about a year. As well, one has fixed my Win Explorer Search from a crawl. Plus, another has fixed my file system where I couldn't locate files in their folder that were specified elsewhere. And, it fixed some registry errors for me that other utilities didn't catch, even though I routinely scan and maintain my system.

Now can I install HP sp39516 Active Support Library and problem solved? Absolutely!

Now can I install HP sp51976 Software Framework V 4.0.108.1 Rev A. which requires Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or later and problem solved? Another success!

So, *now install HPsp52110 HP Support Assistant? Yes, and it found my system to be inshape. I'm not falling for that one. But nevermind, what a hastle.

Now can I get back to MacGyver and Charlie's Angels? Yes.

pricetag1 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much! I installed windows 10  and lost my touchsmart magic canvas and my support assistant. No help from Hp.  Searching for days and trying remedies. Then I found this post and now I have support assistant back! 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation