Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sorry but after I posted I realized I should have included more info.  I have an HP a1130n with XP.  I never put an adm. password in but after installing a utilities program and finding that things were not working properly my husband tried to figure out where the problem was and ended up not being able to get into XP without the password.  Help please!!!

HP Recommended

the sourceforge link will work for xp, it is a boot disc you make, boot from the disc to reset the password

HP Recommended

Here are some common methods.

Method 1: Reset Windows 7, Vista, XP Password Via Another Administrator Account

If you have another user account with admin privileges, including built-in accounts in Windows 7/Vista/XP, you can easily bypass other accounts' password using Lusrmgr.msc and Command Line.

1. Log on Windows 7/Vista/XP with your administrator account. Click on Start, type lusrmgr.msc in the Search box(Win7/Vista) or Run box(Win7/Vista/XP) and click OK.

2. When the Local users and Groups dialog appears, open the Users folder. Right-click your user account and select "set password", type a new password and click OK.

Method 2: Reset WIndows 7/Vista/XP password with Windows password reset disk

Here is the steps to reset Windows password with password reset disk, bypassing Windows Vista/XP password is the same as this:

Step 1: Login Windows with a incorrect password, it will show you a link "Reset Password.." under the password box.

Step 2: Insert your password reset disk, click the link, When a password reset wizard appears, click Next.

Step 3: Choose the drive name from the pull-down list, click Next.

Step 4: Type a new password in the new password box, and type it again to confirm it. Click Next→Finish. Then you can login Windows again with the new password.

Method 3: Reset Windows password with Windows password recovery program

In this method, you need to load a recovery program on another computer, then burn it to a CD/USB. Boot your locked computer from CD/USB and reset WIndows password offline. This is a universal password reset method.

If you would like to read more: Recover Windows password with CD/USB.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and i was wondering about the guy who said method 1 and 2 how do you change i've tried and it never worked where do you go to change?

@Comptronic wrote:

When it prompts for a password, don't enter anything, just hit enter.  If that doesn't work, see below methods.

There are 2 methods you can try.

Method 1 - Reset password from another Administrator account:

1. Log on to Windows by using an Administrator account that has a password that you remember. You may need to start Windows XP in Safe Mode (to boot in Safe Mode, hit F8 repeatedly at the boot up screen).
  2. Click Start.
  3. Click Run.
  4. In the Open box, type “control userpasswords2″.
  5. Click Ok.
  6. Click the user account that you forgot the password for.
  7. Click Reset Password.
  8. Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes.
  9. Click Ok.

Method 2 - Try command prompt for the "reset password trick":

1. Log in with any valid account.
  2. Open the command prompt.
  3. Type: net user (you should get a list of accounts)
  4. Type: net user Administrator *
  5. Type: net user (any account on that list) *
  6. It prompts for a password.  Enter one, then enter it again when prompted to confirm.
  7. Then try to log on as 'Administrator' with your new password.

HP Recommended

I cannot remember my password to my hp desktop that I haven't used in a year

HP Recommended

i need new password on hp computer

HP Recommended

method 1 is not working

HP Recommended

How do I reset my password on my computer program.

HP Recommended

THANKS!!! This saved my life..lol Thanku thanku

HP Recommended
what of hp G60 125NR, how can I reset my setup password because I have forgotten my password please help me please
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.