Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 420Z
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, the hard drive on my HP 420Z has become corrupt.  I cloned the hard drive and when I was finished both the original HDD and the cloned HDD would not boot.  I tried to reload windows using the windows install, but it keeps asking for drivers.  I downloaded them from the HP site, but it doesn't ask specifically for drivers, it just says that drivers are needed and I should insert my DVD or USB and point to where they are located.

I decided to bring the HP 420Z to staples and have them do the install for me.  But, they were unable to successfully re-load windows 7.  I bought this PC from HP Remarketing.  It's very nice PC but the tech at Staples says that it was actually built as a server and I need the DVD for this particular PC with the drivers on it, and then it wouldn't be  a problem.  I do not have the DVD with drivers for this PC.  Can someone tell me how to get the DVD with drivers for this unit, or how to get the recovery set?  I did try to order the recovery set but I do not see it listed.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Well the unit is a horse of a different color.  Read though his document:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5225033&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03...

Since I am not familiar with that unit, read the guide to see what is nessary to install Windoes 7.

It would be appropriate for you to report back on if this works or if you need further help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@Lobbiesforme

If this is your computer:

HP Desktop - 110-420z CTO

and the Product Number ( Identify my Notebook Model )is one of the following:

Product Number: J5W27AV, J5W27AV#ABA, J5W27AVR

then

you can purchase a Recovery Kit for Windows 8.1

from

Computer Surgeons - Windows® 8.1 Recovery Kit K4Z95AV For HP Desktop Model Number 110-420z

The website provides an 800 number you can call with any questions...

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, @Lobbiesforme :

See if this works...

I have zipped up and attached the storage controller drivers your PC should need below.

There are two folders in the file.

Copy the folders to a USB flash drive.

With the flash drive and W7 installation media in the PC, boot from the W7 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

Browse to the first folder and you should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

If Windows can find no compatible driver, browse to the second folder, check the box...

Follow the prompts, and Hopefully, W7 will install.

If all else fails, you can order W7 recovery media from HP for your z420 Workstation from HP by calling this number below for the USA/Canada... 1-800-334-5144.

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

HP Recommended
Well that document explains a lot.
I actually found someone with the same unit (a 420z) who is sending me an imaged hard drive with windows 7. So, hopefully that will take care if this issue. Anyone disagree?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.