Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-114

The HP recommended udates I downloaded appear to have totally changed and deleted icons and other documents.  I'm afraid to try anything else before I receive some advice.  Any suggestions are most appreciated.  Thanks so much. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Patty820

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and I understand that after installing the HP recommend updates your icons have changed and some documents are missing as well.

I’d love to help!

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• How did you install the updates?
  • When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?
  • Let me know the exact issue you are facing on the computer?

Looking forward to your reply.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I opened HP Support Assistant, it indicated I had updates to download and clicked on the download button.  My computer had been working fine up until I downloaded these updates.  I shut the computer down after the downloads were complete and when I rebooted the next day icons were missing, my documents and pictures were also missing.  I had not done any other changes to the software or hardware other than download the updates.  As far as troubleshooting before I posted I did not know where to go as I was devastated that all this was lost.   While Microsoft support helped set up a new user account and transferred my files I have pictures and douments back but have lost bookmarks and a previously working shortcut now is no longer working.  Should I have done something differently? And how can I trust these recommended HP updates aren't going to cause problems in the future.  I truly appreciate your response to my dilemma as it was a nightmare.  Thanks so much for your guidance. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Patty820, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

Files would not go missing if you have installed any updates. 

If the desktop icons are missing, please do a right-click on the desktop screen, select View and in View list, please select show desktop icons. 

If you feel the updates created the issue, you can do a system restore to rollback the updates. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned in this article to perform a system restore. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

Thank you for your response.  I will keep this in mind for the future.  As I mentioned in my previous post Microsoft support was able to set up a new user account and transfer my files which restored my pictures and documents.  I lost my bookmarks and a shortcut is no longer working.  If you have suggestions on how to restore my bookmarks, I'd appreciate it though I understand that it may be too late for that.  Thank you so much for responding.  I truly appreciate it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. May I know which version of Windows are you using on the computer? (7, 8 or 10.)

The usual location where the favorites are stored is C:\Users\Useraccount\Favorites

"Useraccount" is the name of the account where the favorites are located.

Once you navigate to that location, you can copy the folder and paste it in any location in the new account. 

Then use the import option on the browser in your new account and the bookmarks should be imported. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.