cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
black-pony
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have an HP Pavilion 500-267c, can I install a second hard drive in this PC ?

My XP tower is no longer working but there is some information on the hard drive that I would like to retrieve, my present

PC uses Windows 7 operating system. Can my old hard drive be installed into the new HP without ruining the new

computer or the old hard drive ?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, this assumes that the old XP hard drives is healthy.

You may use a USB external hard rive caddy for the old drive or you can directly connect it through the SATA port on you MoBo on you new computer. 99% of the time there will be extra power connections from the power supply on your new machine to power the old drive.

All this assumes that the old drive is SATA interface _ it may be IDE, in which case you would need an adapter to hook it directly to the new computers MoBo.

I don't believe there are any IDE USB external hard drive caddies, although you may want to check to be sure.

The one on top is SATA and the bottom is IDE.

sata.jpg

black-pony
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks a lot, that answers my question. I have a SATA hook-up on my hard drive. I think I'll try to find the USB caddy

before I try to install it in the PC. I just need to retrieve a few things.

Black-Pony

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

On the XP drive you'll find your stuff under users  and what ever you user name is.

All your files should be there.

You'll get a pop up window somewhere along the way asking for permission.

This is the one I use _ USB 3 is what you want. Your new machine probably has some USB 3 ports, they're blue.

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/416

0 Kudos
black-pony
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I bought a SATA adapter and hooked it up to my 3.5" hard drive. My computer recognized the hard drive and let me access the

documents and settings folder, I opened the users folder but when I tried to open (my name) I was denined access. It wants 

some information that I'm not familiar with so I can't get into the folder in my old hard drive where the information I want is

stored. I'm at an impasse at this point. Just smart enough to get the door open but not smart enough to go inside......

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
10,454 10,287 1,393 3,858
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Right click on the folder name, and select the share tab. You need to likely select Home group Read/Write.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
black-pony
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for this new information, I will have to get all the cables and what not hooked up to the hard drive again before I can

try your new suggestion, I will be sure to update our conversation.....Thanks again

0 Kudos
black-pony
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Okay, I hooked everything back up and tried right clicking the folder and selected the share tab, the advisory message told me

to wait as it would take a few minutes, after several minutes I got another message that says it can't share my information with

me because I'm not authorized. My question is, who is authorized to view the information on the hard drive that used to be in

my old computer?

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I don't have allot of experience with XP, but what I can do is pull the drive at work and hook it up to a W7 machine like you're doing.

At least then I'll have some idea what may be going on.

If you had a pass word on your old XP machine that may be what's giving you the trouble _ just a guess.

If that's the case I wouldn't know how to get around that.

Maybe wb2001 may have some more suggestions.

0 Kudos
black-pony
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello Mr. Cat;

I didn't have a password on my old XP so that's not the problem, I can penetrate down about 2 folders but when I get to the one

with my name on it that's when my new computer stops me. I just need to be more of a hacker I guess instead of an old novice.

I'll wait until you try to duplcate this lash up and see what you come up with.

Thanks Roy

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation