cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JeffMoos Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I need a complete windows 7 disk to reinstall on my HP Pavilion p6210t after being hacked and wiped

I was hit by "Ransomewear". I refused to pay and they wiped 2 of my computers (one I have gotten up and running, the other I am locked out of as my password no longer works and I was not smart enough to make a password disk when I first bought the 2nd computer).

My son looked at them, says the virus is still on the one he can get in to, and the only way to get it off is by formatting the disk and reloading my Windows 7.  He hopes that having the original disk will allow us access to the other computer.

I have all of the required serial numbers and Windows 7 product keys., but since I bought both of these from HP, Microsoft says I need to go to HP to get the disk(s).  I have tried everything I can to get through to HP, but just can't get anywhere.  Can anyone out there help me get a new set of Windoes 7 disks so I can get things "back to normal" (not that I ever will as I lost all of my data and programs and what I have backed up on a portable hard-drive I would be reluctant to load on the "clean" computer as it could contain the virus).

Any help anyone can offer is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,

Jeff

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
104,470 98,449 15,324 23,567
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I need a complete windows 7 disk to reinstall on my HP Pavilion p6210t after being hacked and wiped

Hi, Jeff:

That site only works for retail product keys.  The key on your PC is for an OEM system (installed by HP).

I don't see that HP sells recovery disks for your PC.

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Home Premium SP1 or the (Retail version, but the OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Home Premium SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

You can use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Otherwise, you can purchase a recovery disk set for your PC from this non-HP vendor at the link below...

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-16881-recovery-kit-533088-zh6-for-hp-model-number-p6210t.aspx

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,638
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> ... the other I am locked out of as my password no longer works ...

On a working computer, Google-search for "Nordahl offline password".

Download this software, install it, and burn the software onto a CD-recordable disk.

Put the recorded CD into your "locked" computer, and force the computer to reboot from the CD, instead of booting from the 'C:' drive.

Follow the instructions to reset the Windows password to "blank" it out.

Reboot from your 'C:' drive, and when prompted for a password, just press ENTER.

Then, set a new password, and create a new password-recovery disk.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,638
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My son looked at them, says the virus is still on the one he can get in to, and the only way to get it off is by formatting the disk and reloading my Windows 7. 

That is the "best practices" solution.

However, there are some other things to try:

1. Boot the computer, and repeatedly press F8 until you get a menu.

One of the options should be to "repair my computer", or "run system restore".

That "system restore" will use any existing "checkpoints" stored on the 'C:' drive, to allow you to "time-warp" backwards to a date/time _before_ your computer got infected.  if that works, make a backup of your files/music/pictures/bookmarks/E-mail to an external disk-drive.

2.  From a web-search: http://www.bing.com/search?q=p6210t

one of the options is at: https://restore.solutions/en/hpcompaqpavilionp6210t/

namely to pay $20 US to purchase "system recovery" media.

I hope that this site is "real", and not just a "scam" web-site.

> He hopes that having the original disk will allow us access to the other computer.

See above for that "Nordahl" software to "unlock" the other computer.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,638
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I would be reluctant to load on the "clean" computer as it could contain the virus.

If you have good anti-virus software, you scan do a "full scan" of that external disk-drive, to detect/delete any virus,

by connecting the external disk-drive to that "well-protected" computer.

To make an analogy, there is a difference between holding a hand-grenade with the safety-pin still in-place, versus holding an "unpinned" grenade.  Storing a virus on your disk-drive is the "safety-pin-still-present" version.

Copying files from the disk-drive does not "run" the computer-virus, but it allows the anti-virus to "scan" the file, as it is being copied.

0 Kudos
JeffMoos Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks to all for the help . . . I will try this today. This is a great board with kind people!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
104,470 98,449 15,324 23,567
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation