Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lala1967 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I want to reset my HP laptop to out of box settings

Microsoft Windows XP

I would like to reset my computer to factory settings due to many issues.    How do I do this, and will I loose the windows program and microsoft programs?   

I do not have my  orginal intall disk for Windows or Microsoft. 

PLEASE HELP,

Lala

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
15819 15763 1463 3507
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I want to reset my HP laptop to out of box settings

Lala1967

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

To answer your question, if you reset your PC to factory settings, then you lose EVERYTHING -- as the hard drive is completely erased and reformatted.

So, any files and folders you want to retain need to be copied off to USB stick before the reset.

Also, there is no way to copy off the applications, so you need to find the installation media and any activation codes needed for all the apps you will need to reinstall.

Pressing F11 should put you into a Recovery screen, but if that does not work, your only recourse would be to use HP Recovery Media.

Since HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you should check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation