cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ed87
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

IComputer is continually sending three bells. What does this mean and what do I do to stop them?

HP Recommended

I have recently installed Turbo Tax Premier and also deleted and reinstalled Quicken Starter Edition 2014.

Ed87

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It could mean that the computer is overheating, due to a failure of one of the internal fans.

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run SPECCY, and it will report the temperatures of:

* motherboard

* CPU

* disk-drive

and the speed (RPM) of each fan.

Temperatures over 40 Celsius (water boils at 100 Celsius at sea-level) are symptomatic of a problem.

0 Kudos
Ed87
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I activated computer on Saturaday morning Micrsoft went throuh an half hour of operations such as configuring the system and doing a clean up etc.  When completed the three bells no longer occured. Computer has been running without problem since. 

Thank you for you reply.

Ed87

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> When completed the three bells no longer occurred. Computer has been running without problem since. 

I understand that when your computer is experiencing a "heavy" load (Windows Update, anti-virus update), you hear the sounds, and that when your computer is "idle", you do not hear the sounds.  Correct?

It does seem to indicate that the CPU, when working "hard", is generating enough heat to trigger the motherboard to make the noise.

That SPECCY program will show the temperatures inside your computer.

How old is the computer?  Do you have any pets that shed hair that makes its way inside your computer?

Have you ever opened-up the computer case (when turned-off and disconnected from AC power), and looked for "dust-balls", and/or tried to "spin" any of the visible fans -- fans should easily spin to a light touch, while "non-spinnable" fans need to be replaced.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation