cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
teasdalejgw
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Icons, toolbar disappear.

HP Recommended

I don't know if this is a Windows 7 issue, or hard drive.  Two things happended previous to the problem starting:  the computer was disconnected, moved, returned to original spot, re-connected.. also, an automatic update occurred (Windows I assume, but not sure).  Since then, after the computer sits for a while, the icons disappear, as well as the toolbar.  The cursor is still there, as well as the HP logo.  But can't do anything.  Most of the time, once it 'goes to sleep', I can recover.  At other times, when the computer has been off and I turn it on, I just get a blank screen, no logo, no icons, no toolbar.  But again, I do have the cursor, and I cannot do anything.  Anyone have a clue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 720 2,778
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please try the steps mentioned in the following weblink:

HP PCs - Improving System Performance without Adding Memory (Windows 7)
Tips to improve the performance of your PC without adding memory.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
teasdalejgw
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Vidya, are you suggesting one specific step, or all of them?  That's a lot of steps.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Vidya
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 720 2,778
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These are basically to finetune your system. You can start doing them and stop once you feel your system is working fine.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
teasdalejgw
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I performed several of the tasks, and it seemed ok for a couple of days.  It's doing it again, so I will continue to work my way thru the list of items.

0 Kudos
teasdalejgw
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I performed all the recommended tasks, but it still didn't fix the problem.  Also, after completing one of the tasks, the appearance of everything changed drastically.  This is my husbands computer, and I am now in the process of backing up everything on his computer, and then will restore it to before the problem.

0 Kudos
TwoPointOh
Retired
Retired
10,400 10,963 247 595
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi teasdalejgw. What model of computer do you have? How long has it been behaving this way?

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
teasdalejgw
Author
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Terry, this is an HP Pavillion Slimline s5380t.  This started a couple of weeks ago after an auto update from Microsoft, I assume.  I restored it yesterday to a point previous, but the backup we use (HPSurestore) just backs up files, not system items.  So, the problem persists.  I called our local fixit guy this morning, and hope he can help.

0 Kudos
TwoPointOh
Retired
Retired
10,400 10,963 247 595
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again. If a windows system restore didn't fix it, as a last resort you can do an HP system recovery.

Since you are backing up your system anyways (great plan!), you can try a Microsoft Fixit first, to see if it can detect any issues.

Microsoft Fix It:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

If your “local fix it guy” is stuck you may want to review these steps:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Let me know how it goes!

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation