Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
envy 700-4141
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cant figgure it out. Using Windows 10 image backup, I can make one image backup to my USB  hard drive which I can see. It is about 45 GB and my C drive is about 114GB.

Now I make another image backup in a few days and check it out on the same USB hard drive and the date and time has changed but all the files are zeroed out. Only empty folders.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Is this a "file-permissions" issue, i.e., while the imaging-utility can access the folders, it does not have "elevated" permissions to access the files?

Did you "wipe" the USB memory-stick before making the second attempt, so that it starts with an "empty" target?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I think Ive figgured it out as it seems to be "permission" based. When you look at the folder in the back up by going to its properties, all folders indicate thier empty. But when you dig deeper into the individual files, (properties) you see the actual amount of data. I was trying to be certain that the image backup did indeed produce a full image and it became quite confusing. 

The more I dig into the bowles of win 10 the more I realize how buggey it is. Example: Windows 10 does not allow you to save / create a image or backup to any USB thumb drive of any size. You must use a USB hard drive or an internal drive. Go figgure!

Back to the digging...

HP Recommended

> The more I dig into the bowels of win 10, the more I realize how buggy it is.

Is it a "bug" or a "design feature" ?

> Example: Windows 10 does not allow you to save / create a image or backup to any USB thumb drive of any size.

> You must use a USB hard drive or an internal drive. Go figure!

My guess is that the "image backup" copies each of the partitions on your disk-drive, creating partitions on the "target" disk-drive (internal or external).  Thus, because a USB memory-stick cannot be "partitioned", Windows deliberately does not allow it to be the "target".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.