cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MdWt
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Install from usb and BIOS

HP Recommended
dc5800 dc7800
Microsoft Windows XP

For a number of important things like testing I need this specific models. And being my type of choice.

I have these questions.

Am I in the right sub forum?
How do I add options to the BIOS? As I understood this goes with System Software Management. So a utillity from there. Bios configuration utillity. Which can produce an output text file in Windows. And in this textfile the settings can be done. I tried it, but it did not work. There was something about the image not loading. To give an example: add an option to change the sata setting from IDE to AHCI.

I want to install XP trough an usb flash drive. I have an utillity that can install a proper xp setup to a flash drive. But even though my BIOS settings are correct setup can't start. Or on one of the desktops in a way it doesn't work.

I tried to backup my BIOS to a flash drive. But this also did not work. What is it with flash drives. They are recognisably the most suitable and are this of a burden.

I looked at previous threads. It did not seem reasonable to me to find there. Or is it? I think the subject is quite diffuse.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have these questions.

Welcome to the forum.

You probably should have created multiple questions, in order to address your multiple issues.

> How do I add options to the BIOS? As I understood this goes with System Software Management. So a utillity from there. Bios configuration utillity. Which can produce an output text file in Windows. And in this textfile the settings can be done. I tried it, but it did not work. There was something about the image not loading. To give an example: add an option to change the sata setting from IDE to AHCI.

I presume that you have a private network, and you want to remotely view/manage/update the BIOS settings on a "client" computer.  Is the "client" enabled for Remote Management?

> I want to install XP through an usb flash drive. I have an utillity that can install a proper xp setup to a flash drive.

> But even though my BIOS settings are correct setup can't start.

Is the "target" PC an older PC, without the "new" UEFI BIOS, or  with the PC configured for "legacy" boot?

Is the PC configured with the "legacy" USB support "enabled" and USB listed as the first (or "only") boot-device?

> Or on one of the desktops in a way it doesn't work.

Please be more descriptive about what "in a way" means.

> I tried to backup my BIOS to a flash drive. But this also did not work.

> What is it with flash drives. They are recognisably the most suitable and are this of a burden.

Please be more descriptive about "did not work".

Did the BIOS utility recognize the USB's file-system as an available "target"?

Is the motherboard old-enough to have a parallel-port for a 3.5-inch "stiffy" diskette drive? Can you backup to it?

P.S. search this forum.  I seem to remember reading that Other People have reported problems booting XP from a USB device.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation