cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
hpannken
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing secondary hard drive in my Hp Pavilion

I own an Hp Pavilion, Model P7 - 14446s PC with a 1 TB hard drive.

I want to install a secondary hard drive and clone the primary hard drive on a daily basis.

I understand that if my primary hard drive fails, it is a simple procedure to switch to the

secondary hard drive and to continue "computing".

What hardware do I need beside the new 1 Tb hard drive and what is the procedure to install the new hard drive

and how would I switch to the secondary hard drive if the primary hard drive fails?

Thanks,

hpannken

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
24,693 21,087 2,416 8,017
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing secondary hard drive in my Hp Pavilion

@hpannken, welcome to the forum.

You will need the hard drive and SATA power and data cables.  You will leave the boot drive attached as it is and connect the second drive to another SATA port on the motherboard.  You can't leave the second drive connected when booting if you have an OS on it.  This can cause conflicts and problems with booting.

If the primary drive fails, you would simply disconnect the SATA cables for it and connect the second drive where it was connected.

Now, some food for thought.  I never use internal drives for backup.  I have two external USB hard drives and a thumb drive that I use for backup.  They are far easier to connect and don't block airflow inside of the case.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation