Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 12 (2,420 Views)
Accepted Solution

Intel i7 920 2.67 GHz CPU?

Hi,

Does anyone know why my HP Pavilion Elite m9659f has it's Intel i7 920 2.66 GHz CPU reporting 2.67 GHz via the BIOS and how can I get it to say 2.66 GHz?  Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Intel i7 920 2.67 GHz CPU?

Different software packages or reporting utilities can report differently, rounding up or down.

2.66 gHz is the same as 2.67gHz...  I don't know of a way to make the change, and seriously - the performance is the same...

-dm (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employers)

View solution in context
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 12 (2,415 Views)

Different software packages or reporting utilities can report differently, rounding up or down.

2.66 gHz is the same as 2.67gHz...  I don't know of a way to make the change, and seriously - the performance is the same...

-dm (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Intern
Message 3 of 12 (2,391 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI dm,

Thanks for responding.  The testing software I have, i.e. Sisoftware Sandra Lite, CPU-Z, etc. and even the AMI BIOS reports 2.67GHz.  I understand that it is not that much of a deal but I can not test this computer against other computers in the world via www.pcpitstop.com with "OverDrive".  This testing site is a standard I have used for many years.  I can test and see my own numbers but my computer cannot be compared to other computers.  The PC PitStop techs tell me it is because my CPU is being overclocked to 2.67GHz and not the stock 2.66 GHz their tests and data base are expecting.

When he said overclocking, I said to myself, but my BIOS does not give me access to overclocking.

On an other topic:  For HD video production, is it best to keep the page file smaller without fragments or is it best  to let the page file grow to the available RAM with fragments?  I usually set the pagefile to Custom and set both min and max to the size recommended by the OS but sometimes that causes the page file to fragment.  However if I keep the page file size below a certain tipping point, then the page file stays whole.  Which is best?

Is there a substantial difference if a CPU is 4000 MIPS faster in one OS compared to an other?

All things being the same, I get 4000 MIPS more from the CPU

when I run Vista x64 Home Premium than when I run Windows 7 x64.

Is there any way to turn the CPU Turbo feature off?  (That might stop the Overclocking.)

Speaking of Overclocking, any way in the BIOS to get access to the standard Overclocking features?

Any other suggestions on how to maximize this computer for graphic annimation and HD Video Production?

Thank you for your time.

Provost
Message 4 of 12 (2,388 Views)

[ Edited ]

dashby1,

Don't worry about the paging file unless it's fragmented.  No paging is the best situation. You can stop paging and the associated page faults which increase CPU usage and also inflict I/O delays by increasing your memory.  A minimum of 6-8 gb with a 64 bit OS should be the starting point if you are doing heavy HD video work.  Also, buy a good video card that has 1 gb of on board memory but this might also mean upgrading your power supply.  Be sure that your video editing software is designed to take advantage of a 64 bit operating system. Your applciation software might need upgrading or replacement.  There is a good article in the June 2010 edition of PCWORLD magazine on Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for faster editing and higher demands. However, you need to have a deep pocket for this software is not cheap.

Forget about trying to overclock a HP PC.

What is your exact PC model number as the model number at the top doesn't show support information for it.

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Intern
Message 5 of 12 (2,376 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Big Dave,

Thanks for responding.

This is the computer I am talking about:

Hp Pavilion Elite m9650f

Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core 2.66 GHz, CPU
Pegatron, IPMTB-TK, (HP) Truckee-UL8E, MB
6 GB(2GB x 3 sticks), PC3-8500, DDR3, RAM
750GB, SATA 3G, 7,200 RPM x 2, RAID 1, HD
NVIDIA, GeForce 9800 GT, 1.5GHz, 512MB GDDR3
Windows Vista 64 Bit and Windows 7 64 Bit.

It does show up on the HP website and has drivers, etc.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3942960&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&tmp_track_link...:0&cc=us

This is what I mean about the pagefile:

I have 6 GB of RAM and the recommended page file is 9202MB.  When I set the pagefile to "System Managed Size" it allots 6135 MB but the page file is always fragmented into two files.  When I select "Custom Size" and set the pagefile to 9202MB, now the page file is in 3 fragments.  And when in "Custom Size" I set the pagefile to say 6000 MB the pagefile is no longer fragmented.  I use Defraggler after each setting change.  So the question is: Is it better for HD video production to have an unfragmented page file or not?

This HP comes with the NVIDIA, GeForce 9800 GT, 1.5GHz, 512MB GDDR3 so I'll see how it performs with HD video production and consider a 1GB card if need be.  Side note: The power supply is 460 Watts.  I am not a gamer so double video cards will not be a concern.

For now I use home consumer Adobe Premiere Elements and

Sony Vegas Movie Studio because my pockets are very shallow.

But I will keep in mind that the goal is to go to x64 software and software that untilizes multiple CPU cores.

Provost
Message 6 of 12 (2,367 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a way to fix your paging file.  Turn off paging and reboot. Now defrag your hard drive. RE-enable paging and reboot.  Now how does it look?

Your PC has a 460 watt power supply which is OK for a faster video card. Look at the video card specs for the HPE-180t which also has a 460 watt power supply.

Review the ATI and NVIDIA performance specifications. Look at the memory bandwidth specifications and the DirectX level support.

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Intern
Message 7 of 12 (2,359 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Big Dave,

Your suggestion on how to fix my page file worked great!

Thanks for that tip.

I checked the ATI and NVIDIA information you hypertexted

and the HPE-180t.  I am more partial to NVIDIA so the

GTX-220 or GTX-260 look appealing.  I think my 9800 GT

has a 256 bit interface.  Is it a step down if the GTX-220 is 128 bit?

The GTX-260 is 448 bit.  In reality, I have to keep what I have for a while.

But thanks to you, I will know what I need when my finances get better.

Master's Graduate
Message 8 of 12 (2,343 Views)

I was going to suggest the same thing that Dave mentioned, but he beat me to it.  great minds think alike.

In a previous life at HP, I used to be a performance/benchmarking engineer for the server group.  I've always been a big fan of a single pagefile - at least a couple of gig larger than the RAM in the system - min/max set the same.    I used to partition part of the physical drive for the OS into C: and D: drives, and format the D: drive with FAT or NTFS with a 4K block size - and move all the pagefile there.  FAT was a bit faster than NTFS, and there was a plus when running the performance monitor - any/all accesses to logical drive D: was paging.   Never tried it on Win7/64-Bit, with 6GB or so of memory though.

Keep the temp folder clean and the hard drive defragmented (I use JKDefrag from portableapps.com mostly nowadays).  Also - check all the locations where temp files reside.

C:\TEMP (some apps create/put files there)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP (a lot of stuff goes here for some reason)

and %TEMP% (for each user profile on the system).

I usually delete anything that can be deleted from these folders, with the exception of the folders COOKIES, TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES and HISTORY.

The higher the number on the nvidia card, the better.  It will run hotter, etc, but give more performance.   I also have Vegas, but for most of my simple editing or recoding - I use Nero or Windows Live's Movie Maker (which is free, and seems to do a good job of using all cores).

Most of what I do is Media Center related - I choose gfx cards that are "just fast enough plus a little " - but don't run so hot the noise bothers me.  Right now I have a GT210 in an older HP Digital Entertainment Center which drives a projector.  I have a 9600gt card in my m9600t - works fine for what I use it for.   Now - if I got the latest Adobe Premiere - I'd probably want to get a much hotter (I mean faster) card - to offload much of the graphics rendering work to the GFX card.

-dm (a long-time HP employee, but the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Intern
Message 9 of 12 (2,316 Views)

Hi dm,

Thanks for responding.

I have a 9202 MB unfragmented page file at present and this HP is very very fast so for now,

I think I will leave the pagefile alone.  However, I will take your suggestion if need be in the future.

I use PC Pitstop Optimize 3 and CCleaner.  Is that adequate to clean out Temp files?

I checked out all the places you cited for temp files, everything was in good order

and I downloaded JKDefrag to see how it does.  It is now called "My Defrag".

Thanks for the tip.

I have home versions of Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Movie Producer, Nero, Virtual Dub.

You mention that Windows Live's Movie Maker utilizes all cores.  I will check that out for sure.

I am just looking to record 720p or 1080p raw video and do basic HD editing and titling

for BluRay or the web for music performance, visual arts and documentary presentations.

Your m9600t is very similar to my m9650f.

I understand that if I become more serious about HD video production software,

i.e. Adobe Premiere Pro, I would want a faster NIVIDIA GTX video card that does

most of the graphics rendering.  For now, I'll live with my NIVIDIA 9800 GT.

Master's Graduate
Message 10 of 12 (2,307 Views)

Utility programs are like Ford and Chevy's - everyone has their favorites, ones that works well for them.  I just mentioned the ones I use nowadays...

I went out and purchased Vegas - but really - Nero was adequate for my needs... I'd suggest holding off on the gfx card upgrade until you really feel you need it - if you get big into recoding/editing - it would be good then.  I know the new mercury engine in the latest Premiere can take advantage of the fast GFX CPUs....

Good luck...

-dm

-DM (HP Retiree)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation