Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pueblobill Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is this hp desktop able to be upgraded to W10: h8-1010, product #QN557AA#ABA

Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Top Student MJ_S Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

HP does not have drivers for Windows 10 for your system. The Windows 8 drivers might work but there is not any guarantee that you will not run into any problems from the start or later down the road. I would recommend staying with Windows 7 or 8 which are supported on this unit by HP with the proper drivers.

I am an HP Employee. All views expressed are my own.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15449 15394 1437 3420
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pueblobill

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly fact of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

If that is not bad enough, the Win10 Upgrade is know, in some cases, to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work.

However, you can protect yourself from upgrade and recovery problems if, BEFORE you do the Upgrade, you consider using a third-party imaging/restoration application like Macrium Reflect to image off your machine so you can easily restore it if anything doesn't work.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Have fun experimenting with Win10!

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation