cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lou_aboard_alia
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Item Not Found - when copying or backing up

HP Recommended

Hi Folks... 

The things we take for granted...such as drag and drop copying of folders.  I have an HP e9140f that I have upgraded to Windows 7.  Once things settled down and all updates had been installed, I attempted my first full backup to a second hard drive.  The backup failed and a window appears that says:

Item Not Found (title bar)

Could not find this item

This is no longer located in (the folder I am copying to)).  Verify the item's location and try again.

I then have two choices: "Try Again" or "Cancel" ... The first does nothing but recycled and Cancel often stalls to the point I am looking for my baseball bat.

Now, the same thing happens when I try to drag and drop folders or files from the C:\ drive to any other, except for the smallest of files.  Copying from the second hard drive to the C:\ drives works fine, but when I attempt to copy from the C:\ drive to another hard drive, CPU use spikes to around 50%, 29% of my 8GB DDR3 ram is in use, then receive the above window notification.

I've tried a variety of things, including copying in safe mode, all resulting in the same problem.  When I reboot, I can briefly copy again, until the same stall occurs.

And here's the weird part, although Explorer continues to show the folder and its files on the second hard drive, Properties shows they are not there.  Rebooting = they return.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks...Lou

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation