cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JandT
Level 2
13 9 0 4
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post

Just bought a 750-437cb

HP Recommended

Just purchased HP Envy pachakge from sams. Model 750-437cb. Trying to access information is almost impossible and keep getting error messages when trying to contact support. I have had this problem before with these specail modelss from the big box stores but this is really frustrating. All I wnat to do is get info to do a video card upgarde and the manual I downloaded was supposed to be eEnglich but was a mulitnational blurb that had no relative information. Also when trying to contact customer support I was told to go to the web and that didn't work either. said the website was down or re-assigned. I'm ready to repack the thing and return it. Any got suggestions or comments.

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see what you are going through.  I just checked, and I managed to find information on the 400 series, but nothing specifically on your model.  I did read that the b means you purchased a PC/monitor bundle.

Sorry about your situation, I'm not HP support, but you might try calling the support number and then tell them that your PC is nowhere to be found on the support site and that technical information provided for the 400 series is not specific about the capabilities of the PC's motherboard.  Here is the number if you would like to go this way:

1 (800) 474-6836

Not to drag the issue down, but I recall when HP was such a great source of detailed information in their pdfs.  I have an old DC 7700, and I can go and download the tech specs any time I need them.  Everything is in the pdf too.

Btw, appears you aren't the only one having trouble with this:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=Envy+750-437cb&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0K8UD...

0 Kudos
JandT
Author
Level 2
13 9 0 4
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been able contact Support but I'll try the number you provided. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good luck with HP support.  I really hope they are able to get you the answers you require...

0 Kudos
JandT
Author
Level 2
13 9 0 4
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The phone number pushes me to the website that says there may be a problem with the link. I basically block from any support based on a bundled model that apparent;y does not exisit in their data base. Gonna keep trying but at this point I can't contact via the web or phone. 

0 Kudos
AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me see if I can find a chat.  Customer service may be offline at night.  idk, but maybe that could be an issue.

0 Kudos
AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No matter what, you go through this page, apparently:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

So I suppose this is where your product could not be id'ed.  I don't see any chat or anything for support, which I guess I kind of understand since HP is selling world wide.  However, it is concerning that there isn't a simple way to contact the company over warranty questions or questions like yours.

I'm a big believer that there is always a way.  If you get a chance maybe you can check the number again tomorrow during working hours?  If that doesn't work, maybe there is another number that can be found by digging a little deeper :)...

0 Kudos
Vipress28
Level 1
4 4 0 2
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought this same computer at sam's club during their one day sale on November 12th.  I had the same error sometimes on the support website...  it seems you have to go through the hp support assistant program/bloatware pre-installed on the machine in order to find information and documentation from what i have found so far.

i'm not sure about the graphics card upgrade i haven't looked into that yet...((i started to but the darn thumbscrew was too tight to get the case open and i was anxious to get it set up and make sure it worked when if first got it home, but it does have cutouts for 3 or 4 pciexpress slots on the back of the case, so i am presuming you can upgrade the gpu without issue other then possibly swapping the power supply....)), i did find out that the motherboard only supports up to 32 gb of ram... which is annoying since mainstream boards are supposed to support 64gb of ram and enthusiats boards 128gb of ram with some server boards supporting like 1-2tb of ram and windows 10 itself supporting like 1-2tb of ram in one of the recent updates to the os.

but its still better then some of the computers i was looking at at best buy earlier this year, where the customer service desk helped me find whether the ram was upgradable by looking at the product on their internal systems and some of their products could only hold 16gb of ram with 12gb already installed, or could only hold 12gb of ram, etc... i think one tower could only use a max of 8gb ram...

the consumer/mainstream/retail market is ridiculously far behind...  offering 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb options for ram in their products and sometimes 16gb and if you are willing to jump to the 2-3k price range for no reason some of them have 32gb of ram pre-installed..

alot of triple a games on steam are starting to require a minimum of 16gb of ram to play them on medium or high settings, the one game called just cause 3 was getting tons of flack because even people with 16gb of ram could barely play the game due to something called a memory leak in the game code whatever that means..

second life the one friend of mine who owns the moulin rouge cabaret and paris themed full sim there, back in late 2014 or early 2015 she recommended a minimum of 32gb of ram for second life if you can afford it and plan to do any flying or swimming or anything active in-world not just talking and standing around

similary most advice i see for any kind of amateur art or 3d content creation advises 16 or 32gb of ram minimum...

yet until i found that HP ENVY 750-437cb at sam's club on sale for $799 when i was there November 12th with my sister, every computer at bestbuy with 16gb of ram in it was like 1300-1800 and sometimes more like 2300-2500 just to get that much ram... mainly because of the towers having fancy gaming cases with led/rgb light strips and windowed cutouts and special paint colors and the towers having ssd drives in them instead of normal sata hard drives.

also, until about april 2016, most of the computers on bestbuy's site still made you only have an i5 cpu not an i7 to get any reasonable price point on the tower pretty much...  i've been looking at cyberpowerpc, ibuypower, bestbuy, walmart, cybertronpc, puget systems, microcenter, maingear, digital storm, lenovo, and other pc maker/seller websites since 2nd quarter of 2015 seriously and casually before that even pricing desktops and researching trying to re-educate myself on current state of the pc market and what specs are good nowdays and what you should be able to get for your money...  and been frustrated at every turn as everything has been dramatically overpriced or way under specced for the price..

it didn't start to change until the 6th gen i7 cpus finally started hitting the market in pre-builts in 2nd and 3rd quarters 2016, followed almost immediately by the announcement that the 7th gen i7 cpus were right on the heels of the 6th gen chips and that the pc makers had asked intel to delay those and amd to delay its new zen cpu chips until early 2017 to allow them to shift old inventory and gear up....

because as of 1st quarter 2016, best buy and other sites were still primarily focused on selling desktops with only 4 or 8gb of ram sometimes only 2 gb of ram, integrated graphics, and either a 4th 5th or 6th gen i5 cpu or a 3rd 4th or 5th gen i7 cpu....

most mainstream consumers who shop at bestbuy and lenovo websites don't know better and were snapping up those new computers thinking they were getting a deal not realizing how woefully under specced and out of date and relatively useless for any real computing needs those machines were compared to what is really available/out there.

oh and most of the towers i was looking at were only towers.......

the HP ENVY 750-437cb, comes with a 27 inch ips led display with sound bar, and a basic hp keyboard and mouse... all for normal price of 999.99 at sam's club or 799.99 at that one day sale.... to say i'm thrilled is a major understatement....  the only thing it lacks is a dedicated gpu as it came with 2tb hard drive, 16gb ddr4 2133mhz ram, bluetooth and wifi built in...  plenty of usb ports even one of the newfangled type c ports on the front... etc....

I do have to play sound over hdmi to the monitors though so far.. because the realtek audio keeps saying its unplugged or not completely installed yet when i look in control panel...so the front headphone jack doesn't work yet ((haven't tried the back audio jacks/ports yet))

i'm basically very thrilled with the machine so far other then the hp support assistant and the like 10 other hp programs that i have no idea what they even do or what they are even for or why the bleep they are even on there....  other then managing documentation the support assistant program is bloatware and redundant because with windows 10 you are supposed to let driver updates be managed by windows... yet the support assistant tries to do it instead... creating a huge potential for conflicts with the operating system for no reason...

though one interesting thing about the support assistant.... i've never seen a computer tell me it needs a bios update b4 in my entire lifetime of using computers...  but the support assistant says my computer needs to install 2 bios updates already as of its most recent check on november 20th.

i would have liked to have known about these before i purchased the pc i have though...

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/z2mini.html

found those hp workstation desktop pcs by accident almost a day ago after i randomly navigated to compaq's website to see if it was still operating out of curiousity to see if compaq computers still existed and apparently the website is still there but everything i clicked redirected to something on hp's product line now.  so it seems compaq is gone for good now completely.

the potential specifications on those various workstation models are more what i think of when i think of a computer....

and it goes to show what i was taught by one of my college professors back in 2003 basically still holds true... if you want a real computer look at workstation/professional grade products or mainstream segment above 1200 dollar price point as that she said was where the cut off usually is approximately for budget-tier desktops...  and she said to never buy anything labeled "gaming"  as it was basically higher priced for the same or lower specs as you would find on a mainstream model, using pretty cases and fancy marketing techniques to basically sell to gullible "gamers" what they couldn't sell or got stuck with from the mainstream market.

at least my M.I.S. degree and being taught what to look for in case of someday being in the position to make a purchasing decision for an it department or a business or corporation as a manager finally came in handy, lol.

AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Vipress28:  Thanks for sharing.  Maybe someone will contact you about the movie rights lol.  I love your story, but I would like to say one thing about PCs, actually two things:

1.  Back in 1995 a personal computer...a 486 model, consumer grade, BestBuy/CompUSA/Circuit City/Computer City Superstore type of name brand computer was generally over $2000.  This was even to get into the game.  There were lower priced units, but they weren't upgradeable (parts even soldered into the computer and so on), and they were at the lower end of specifications.  To really have a PC, you would pay 3-4k$.

You make we want to say this because this is the same industry that within 20 short years now makes PCs that are on the order of billions of times better and sells them for $600-2000.  The prices back in 1995 were fair.  Sorry to say the prices today I feel cannot stay where they are.  They are going to to up, and I don't hold this against manufs.  Reason two is the reason:

2.  Chinese/Taiwanese/Malaysian/Phillpino/Japanese/American (or whatever) workers must be skilled to create the components for computers.  This means costs are going to rise with the addition of more and more skilled laborers.  Otherwise, we will get junk.  China is in the game now, and they hold some very impressive cards, such as a 6 trillion dollar debt voucher from the U.S.  Yes, the U.S. owes the Chinese government 6 trillion dollars.  China is going to defend the dignity of its working people long term.

The PC industry leaders will go to the wall to make consumer grade PCs available for use at home for an affordable price.  However, I do think that price will climb over the next 5 years.

You guys are stealing these PCs.  Don't be upset.  The industry is making them available, and there are global reasons for doing so which make sense.  The world is becoming a better place because of them.  Don't be surprised if the industry looks for a way to cash in on tech advances though.

I had to earn my first PC, and it changed everything for me.  I became part of a world I didn't know even existed and shortly thereafter I realized the potential for the platform for personal productivity and success.  There is so much magic in the PC industry, from Intel to the games to Apple to HP to everything else.  No matter what the industry won't lose the magic.

Keep looking for deals and pulling your hair out.  I know it's worth it.  Don't be upset if prices go up though, because the magic is just going to be in the business moreso if they do.

Thanks for pouring yourself out for us on the board.  It means alot, seriously...

0 Kudos
JandT
Author
Level 2
13 9 0 4
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I finally contacted HP Purchasing I was told by a person barely speaking English that it was a Sam's Club issue. So I toddled on down to Sam's and was given a card with a phone number to their "Tech Experts". The tech was not able to find the model either but did find a 750-137cb model that was the same configuration but had 12GB memeory instead of 16GB. She said she would have to contact her Product Support team for assistance but this wasn't the first time it had happened. She's supposed to call me when it's resolved but at this point it sounds like a failure to communicate. As this config was assembled at HP you'd think there would have been some data base updating but it's either incompetence or a glitch in the system, and would expect they'd claim the latter. So I'll keep plugging along until something happens.BTW I did find a model that allowed me to see the mother board layout and was surprised to see only one slot and it appears to be PCIexpress.  Happy Thanksgiving. 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation