Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700 330qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it true that the motherboard Kaili MS-7826 of my HP Envy 700 330qe will only work with the USB 3.0 connectors of the original HP case that it came with ? 

Because I switched the motherboard to a new Corsair Spec 02 case, and the USB 3.0 of this case front panel won't work. Even asked for a replacement front panel, and that won't work either. 

This is what I found " Hello,
I've had the same problem. It turns out, the MSI-7778 will only accept the header from the case it came built into. It's just part of transferring a motherboard out of a pre-puilt machine, unfortunately "

Answer me. So I can release myself from this headache of not knowing why this brand new case won't work. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I'll ask the obvious: have you connected the cable from the "back" of the USB 3.0 socket on the new front-plate to a USB 3.0 internal header on the HP motherboard?

And: can you remove the front-plate from the HP case, and make it fit on the front of the new case?

HP Recommended

Yes I have plugged the connector in, from the front panel to the Blue USB 3.0 slot on the Mobo. 

and No, i can't. unless i destroy it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes the motherboard uses proprietary headers on motherboard and can only use the original plugs on the usb 3 header.

You could try to get an adapter for the cable with plug for front ports and attach it to one of usb ports on back of PC.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

A picture of your "Kaili" motherboard:

Source: https://support.hp.com/doc-images/270/c03784161  .jpg  (remove the interior "blanks" from this URL

Along the bottom, the "white" connectors are the two USB 2.0 ports, and the "blue-boxes" are the two USB 3.0 ports.

Does the connector from your new USB cable physically fit into a "blue-box"?

Is it "keyed", i.e., one pin missing in that socket?

> the USB 3.0 of this case front panel won't work.

How did you determine that it does not work?

Did you load the "chipset" device-driver, and the USB 3.0 device-driver for your HP motherboard?

When you open "Device Manager",  do you see:

Capture.JPG

namely the detected presence (with the correct device-drivers loaded) of USB 3.0 support?

Do the USB 3.0 sockets on the back-plate work, when you connect a USB 3.0 device into one of the two sockets?

If "none" of the USB 3.0 sockets are working, you have a larger problem.

HP Recommended

I'm very impressed with the details of your reply. 

Unfortunately, I've done all the above. 

1. The new front panel cable fits perfectly in, including a "missing" hole. The case is Corsair Spec 02 if you want to know. 

2. How i determine that the new panel USB 3.0 won't work : I plugged my old case USB 3.0 cable into the Mobo Blue socket, and then i plug in a flash drive to test. and it works. Then I plugged in the NEW case front panel in, and it won't recognize my flash drive. .

3. I've downloaded and re-installed the correct chip set for this Mobo from HP driver website. Device Manager shows all USB are good. 

4. The rear USB 3.0 works just fine. 

HP Recommended

> I plugged my old case USB 3.0 cable into the Mobo Blue socket, and then i plug in a flash drive to test. and it works.

> Then I plugged in the NEW case front panel in, and it won't recognize my flash drive. 

That is good "detective" work.

The only other thing you can try is connecting the USB-header (either 2.0 or 3.0) on a different motherboard to the NEW case front-panel "in", to see if the "pin-out" order on the NEW case is "generic" or "proprietary".

That's a lot of work, and you have said that this is the second front-panel that you have tried.

Your testing implies that HP has used a different "pin-out" order on the header on the motherboard, and that the HP cable is compensating for that order, to match the "generic" pin-out order for any "standard" USB device (memory-stick, camera, external disk-drive, wireless adapter, etc.).

So, the most-simple solution is a USB 3.0 "extension" cable, namely one "male" and onen "female" USB connector,

connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the back, and threading that cable around the case, and duct-taping its "female" connector onto the top-front of your computer-case, to provide quick access to USB 3.0 speed.

Yes, using duct-tape is recommended on the NSFW site: http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit/tag/hall-of-fame?  -- the "I Fixed It -- Hall of Fame".   :Wink:

HP Recommended

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/mobo-3-0-header/td-p/4927915

It looks like other people have been having the same problem. Pre-built Mobos are just ahole

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.