cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Phill_S
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Kaspersky corrupting downloads

HP Recommended

Kaspersky are saying that the "opensource" progam is incompatible with their Internet Security 2017 and saying this is the cause of GiveAwayOfTheDay downloads being corrupted.

There is no "OpenSource" program installed according to Control Panel.

Kaspersky advise to run "MsiExec.exe /I{3677D4D8-E5E0-49FC-B86E-06541CF00BBE}". This brings up the "InstallSheild Wizard" for "opensource".

I have found a folder called : C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\OpenSource.This is dated 1 June 2012, which is before I purchased my Hewlett Packard PC. So I assume pre-loaded by HP as part of Windows 7 professional on my HP Pro 3405.

What is this folder?

Is it the same thing as the "Opensource" program Kaspersky is taking about?

What will happen to my PC if I uninstall the "opensource"?

All help will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 is the antivirus/security software installed on your system.  It is very good at keeping bad things from happening.  You need to communicate with them either through their support people or the user forums.  I am sure it has been addressed, you just need to find the solution.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Phill_S
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too thought that Kaspersky would stop bad things happening. However when I reported this issue last year their response was:

1. Try download again with Kaspersky internet security completely turned off!! You must be joking, what is the point of having security software and then running with it turned off!

2. No-one else has reported issue, so must be just you!! I had to repeatedly point out lots of references on internet  before they conceded.

3. I do their testing by repeatedly downloading with various parts of Kaspersky disabled! What! Until I get a disabling virus?

Eventually they conceded there might be a bug. However they omitted to tell me when they had a fix!

Now they are saying:

1. Because you have the incompatible "opensource" program installed. When I point out that Control Panel & Task Manager disagree, they just gave MsiExec.exe command. My concern is that without any info on what "opensource" is, when it was clearly installed by HP before shipping to me, will this have a detrimental effect on the working of my PC?

2. No-one else reported. SO it still be just be me?

3. Can I do their testing as (3) above.

Notes

1: Kaspersky ask for lots of info by running a "GetSystemInfo" program. They say it can be run as a non-administrator user and will be create on the user desktop. Neither is the case. When I send this file, they keep saying (3 times!!). "Had the file been created they could have..." Oh dear me!

2: After the download was corrupted with Kaspersky on, I took the risk of downloading with K off. Scanned with K, no problems, so I installed - no corruption. When I offered to send the 2 downloads for them to investigate?

Not interested. If I do not want to do their testing, not interested.

So please do not suggest I contact Kaspersky - just a waste of time.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well that is truly disturbing.  Until it can be determined just what is causing this, have you tried a different antivirus application?  Most offer a free trial period where they can be tested by the user.  Many dislike Norton, just saying.  But Bitdefender, Avast,  and AVG are widely accepted, but you pick.  If any of the others cause similar problems, then it most likely is a problem with your Windows install.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
Phill_S
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the same PC I had Norton Internet security until 2 years ago. I never had any problems with downloading from GiveAwayOfTheDay. Can I point out that I mentioned that as I wanted the program offered, (Tipard DVD cloner), I took the risk of downloading with Kaspersky turned off, then turned K back on and scanned for viruses before installation. All ok.

Yes I could try other antivirus applications, but that would probably require me to:

1: Unistall K

2: install the new

3: Download - probably showing no problem, in any case

4: Uninstall new

5: Reinstall K

Oh and then also ( otherwise K would deny relevance):

6: Download under Kaspersky - to prove the bug

7: Turn K off, re-download  - to show no problem, as above.

Note I have already done 6 & 7, but K have declined to investigate the results!

When I am paying for a product and support, why should I have to do all this?

Please note that K spent several months last year denying there was any issue, when many people had already reported this on the internet. I suspect K said the same to them.

As I was a developer in IT for 44 years, last post Senior Analyst Programmer. I do believe that it is up to Kaspersky to provide support and do their own testing.

Thanks anyway for your support and suggestions.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes and I understand.  There seems to be only a few choices.  Either go on with Kaspersky and put up with the problem, delete the suspected problem causing folder, or use a different product.  When I was using Kaspersky and it was causing increasingly troublesome computing, I kicked it to the curb and went with another product that would allow the activities I wanted to do.

That is the user choice - if the product does not perfom to the user's desires.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Phill_S
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming that others have the same issues with Kaspersky. I only renewed because I was very busy at the time. Like you, not a mistake I will make again.

0 Kudos
andrewstop
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I dont know clearly about your problems, but I think you can search in https://forum.kaspersky.com or https://keykaspersky.com for more information, this is kaspersky's website with a full of information

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation