cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Solved!

Lost Administrative Password recovery options

HP Recommended

About once a day I see the same post

"I lost my administrative password for my computer"

"I can't remember my password"

"I need to change the password and I don't remember it"

Without failure we set passwords and forget them and it's not always a simple process to rectify this solution. However, it is a simple process and can easily be avoided. If you are reading this thread and you haven't lost your password take steps now to protect yourself in case this happens. It will save you time and effort. Always remember, take actions today to save time tomorrow.

Recovering the password using a password reset disc

This should be your preferred method of resetting your password as it's something you can do and should do when setting you your administrative account with a password. The password recovery CD has to be created before you lose the password for it to be effective. If you have not already created this and you are reading this thread to be up and in the know with what to do if you run into this issue stop right now and go do create that disc.

Instructions available here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Create-a-password-reset-disk

Now, if you have the disc and have lost your password it's very simple.

1. Start the computer and attempt to enter the login password on the Windows login screen

2. The password is incorrect message will open and from there you can select ok

3. After that screen goes away a new screen will appear with an option to Reset password.

4. Follow the on screen instructions and use the password reset disc to reset your password

Change your password from another user account

If you have multiple user accounts and at least one of those other accounts has administrator rights then you can reset your password from the other account. The password from that account may be necessary so you may want to check with the owner of the account.

1. Log into the other account with administrator rights

2. Click the Start orb and then select the Control Panel

3. From there select User Accounts and Family Safety

4. Select the option Manage another account

5. Click the account with the forgotten password

6. Click change the password

7. Type in a new password and hit enter to confirm

8. Click Change password

9. Log out and attempt to log into the original account

Revert to a previous password

If you have recently changed your password and now can't remember it, you can use the Microsoft System Restore application to go back to a time before you changed the password. This of course would require you to remember what the previous password was as well.

To go back in time and use your old password follow these steps:

1. Press the F11 key repeatedly to open the HP System Recovery program on system boot up

2. Under I need help immediately, click the option Microsoft System Restore

3. Follow the instructions to restore the computer to a previous state, choose a time before you changed the password.

Use a third party program to attempt to reset / recover the password

HP, like most other companies, do not support the usage of third party applications, however they do exist. If you cannot use one of the previous mentioned options then this may be the option you will want to try.

Password removal and recovery programs exist and can be found on the internet through various google searches.

One such program can be found here http://www.pcloginnow.com/ with instructions on how to use it here http://www.pcloginnow.com/guide.html

Just remember as previously mentioned HP doesn't support the usage of third party software to recover lost passwords and at that point you are using this tool or any other tool at your own risk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Author
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hopefully this helps you recovery your lost password, or you read it and heed warning and make a recovery disc beforehand to protect yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

will this  password recovery disk work on the XP HOME Edition Version 202

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello cyclops51,

I assume you are talking about the pcloginnow program if so yes it does work with Windows XP.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a bunch. Exactly the answer I needed and reset disc has been made. Could not find this straight answer anywhere else!!  Kudos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 525
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's good to hear you made your reset disc Cageycat. Now make sure you keep it safe and some place you can easily find it in the event you need it.

- Friendship is magical.
Highlighted
Level 1
2 2 0 6
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
1.Boot the machine with your Windows Repair CD.
2.Select "Repair Mode".
3.Use "System Restore" to set Windows back to a point before you changed the password.
4.Log on with your old password.
5.Plan ahead a little and create, test and document a spare admin account, same as you have a spare house key for emergencies. If you have no reset disk, this is a better way for you. What's more, do you have another admin account on your windows 7? Login it and you can reset other user accounts password easily. 
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To recover a lost Windows password, you can try Ophcrack.  But if your password is very complicated, you may have no luck with that program. Another way is to reset your forgotten password using PCUnlocker Live CD/USB drive.

0 Kudos
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can create a password reset disk to reset the password. click here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forgot Windows password?

Visit: http://www.bypasswindows7password.net

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation