Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 Tower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Does anyone have a part number or know where the following can be ordered from:

M3 metric guide screws for 5.25-inch drives

These are a special screw used in the HP EliteDesk tower drives, but are not included.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

This has come up here before..... go to the search box above to the left, and the default is that it will search only this forum.  Type in M3 and read up on the issue and some workaround solutions.

I found a few on eBay, and the M3 versions are black screws, not the silver ones (which are 6-32 English screws).  One post includes how to make some yourself.

You would think that HP would make these available.... and in some boxes that use them spares in fact may be stored in odd places such as behind the front faceplate.  Worth taking a look......

HP Recommended

Hi @HP_user_1231,

HP has provided extra guide screws installed on the chassis.

The hard drive uses 6-32 isolation mounting guide screws, eight of which are installed on the hard drive bracket under the access panel.

All other drives use M3 metric screws, eight of which are installed on the optical drive bracket under the access panel. The HP-supplied metric guide screws are black.

The HP-supplied 6-32 isolation mounting guide screws are silver and blue.

If you are replacing the primary hard drive, you must remove the four silver and blue 6-32 isolation mounting guide screws from the old hard drive and install them in the new hard drive.

You may refer to below document for more information.

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02000901

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

HP Recommended

I'm pretty certain you are looking for the "isolation screw" type, not just the plain M3 short screws.  The link below will show you some pictures of what the silver-screw (English threads) versus the black-screw (M3 metric threads) look like, with the same blue elastomeric shock/noise absorber build in.

I checked on eBay.... there is a guy selling some that look home made, at 15.00 a set of 4.  The link below will get you to another link at the very bottom, where an individual explains how he created a work-around.  Look here for my prior post on this.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-EliteDesk-800-G2...

Here is what I believe you are looking for, but if you are only looking for the Torx drive round head plain black HP M3 screws then those are much easier to find on eBay.  These ones below are the hard ones to find:

What you want.....jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.  I am surely looking for the M3 screws to mount a 5.25" device.

The link you provided is great but I don't have a HP Compaq 8100 and 8180 Elite Business.

I have a EliteDesk 800 G2 Tower. The screws shown in the link above are not on the chassis and furthermore the documentation says the screws are not included.

It seems a bit silly the only place these are available is from eBay.  I definately would not recommend purchasing the EliteDesk series due to this.  HP should provide these on the chasiss or allow you to purchase for a nominal cost.

HP Recommended

Agree on that.....

So, you actually do just want the bare black HP M3 screws, not the M3 isolation mounts.  Those HP bare M3 screws slide in and out properly in the grooves provided in the case.  You might be able to go to Ace hardware and find short M3 allen head metric screws (aka socket head screws) that are short enough and have the rounded flat-topped head that would be close enough in head diameter and head thickness to work instead of getting HP ones.

McMaster.com is a great source for such odd screws, and it is quite easy to search.  Their part diagrams are very accurate for dimensions.

I just checked on eBay under "HP DVD mounting screw" and there is a guy selling the official HP M3 screws at 8 for 12.00 USD.  Making quite the profit, I am sure, but free shipping.  At least you know now, and that's what I'd do personally.

Here's a pic of those:

HP DVD Mounting Screw.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.