Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PeteMcW Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Machine Randomly turns on and off

Pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'm trying to help someone with their Pavilion 500-2014 desktop and have come up with some mysteries...

Inital problem was that it would turn off then back on randomly.  Eventually it appears to have crashed a boot file and the typical Recovery method brought you right back to the UEFI screen.  So after making a clone of the drive to make sure I had all the user files I did a clean install from the Recovery disks.

Initally the rebuild failed and message said to repeat the installation.  Finally got the OS (8.1) from the drives installed.

Inital check shows all of the fans running and the machine is (reasonably) clean.  System diag checks all pass.  But the machine is still turning on and off.

First mystery is that the system checks show the one 8GB DIMM in Slot 4....  Is slot 4 the primary slot for the 500-214???  I can't fnd any documentation.

Second mystery is when doing a disk check I see that 90% of the 2TB drive is not allocated.  The install disks left a small partition at the begining of the drive unalocated.  Small partition for OS, gap, small partition for the BUILDPART and then a huge unalocated section.  What's up with this?

And when I dig a little deeper I find here that the correct BIOS should be 80.22 from 3/4/16, but this machine shows 80.46 from back in 10/3/13.  Is there a typo someplace or did HP (or MSI) go backwards with their BIOS numbering?

So anyone have any thoughts?  Primary questions are:

1) Known issues with Pavilion 500 machines randomly turning off and on?

2) What is the primary memory slot?  Should the one stick be in slot 4?

3) Why the bizarre drive allocation from the official HP Recovery disks?

4) What is the latest BIOS version for this machine?  (I will be upgrading it to Win10 once I get it up and running.)

Thx!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation