Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jtorri Tutor
Tutor
9 3 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Machine will not boot to bios without secure boot enabled

HP Envy 700-074

Best I can tell the documentation HP publishing specifying the method required to disable Secure Boot on an Envy 700-074 was written by someone(s) who had no experience in implementing the methods they list.  IT DOES NOT WORK!  The ONLY way this machine will boot to the harddrive or to a bootable CD/DVD is if SECURE BOOT IS ENABLED.

I have spent literally days trying to get it to work.  Formatted harddrive as MBR not uefi, gone through the truly bizarre methods required to get the computer register in bios that I wanted the DVD drive as the first option, F10 and Escaped innumerable times.  Bottom line, whoever designed and implemented the bios on the Envy 700-074 MUST be kept away from future involvement on bios implementation!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5028
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jtorri

Hi,

Is unclear exactly what you have tried.  What BIOS level is your PC running?  Are you still running Windows 8?

If the HD is formatted MBR then you need to boot in Legacy mode (secure boot disabled of course). Now with that said, if you have a discrete graphics card in your PC then remove it and connect the monitor video to the motherboard. This is a precaution in case the graphics card is UEFI only.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jtorri Tutor
Tutor
9 3 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Big_Dave

Thanks for quick response.  BIOS is latest offered by HP download for this machine.  The issue for me is what are the exact sequence of steps required to set the BIOS on this machine to Legacy Mode and no Fast Boot.

Have tried with HD formated MBR and BIOS setting to Secure Boot (disabled), Legacy Mode (enabled) and Fast Boot (disabled).   Once Secure Boot is disabled in BIOS a reboot MAY or MAY NOT allow me to return to the BIOS setting screen via F10 and then <ESC>.  Most often the machine roles through options looking for a bootable device/partition, finds none and states no bootable device found.  VERY oddly, a CD/DVD MUST be in the DVD drive for the BIOS setting to allow selecting DVD as boot option.  But....once Secure Boot is disabled cannot get back to BIOS setting screen.

Your suggestion there may be yet another UEFI only device, i.e. video card, in this machine is a helpful one.  However, if the folks who put together this machine did not pay enough attention to the real world possibility a person may want to ACTUALLY USE the BIOS setting options I really feel they need to address the reality of their customer's world.  I realize this is not a forum for that remark but, darn!, it is frustrating.  HP is not a Mom and Pop organization.

As more practical question.  Are you aware of links to sites detailing in real world useful terms how to add to the MOK database in order to sign drivers so Secure Boot is happy?

Thanks again for quick response!

jtorri

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5028
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If your PC is in UEFI mode, then you must have the bootable UEFI media in the optical drive on restart or power up.  If not, the media will not be recognized as UEFI media.

Advice: don't change or clear any of the internal license keys as you will probably only get yourself in trouble with OEM imbedded license keys.

You might want to consider cleaing the CMOS and/or removing the CMOS battery for 60 seconds.  If your HD was reformatted in MBR mode then after clearing the CMOS, boot into the BIOS and again make sure that your PC is set to Legacy mode, Secure boot disable and make sure that you save the changes.  While in the BIOS, check you boot order preferences.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation