cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BluePlanet
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Making a Pavilion p7-1254 Recognize and Use its Recovery Media

HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1254
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

OK, wizards! I've had my Pavilion p7-1254 desktop long enough that the hard drive had to be wiped a second time. There were many OS errors being reported. I was nervous about maintaining the integrity of my data. All the old partitions have been deleted using an ancient Windows 7 OEM disc (eBay) unrelated to this computer. Now I need a way to get the computer to recognize the (re-)installation media and don't know how to proceed. 

I have -

1.) The computer's Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (DVD) disaster recovery disc which I just freshened in September,

2.) The three authentic HP Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS recovery discs (DVDs), made about 2 years ago using HP's media-burning process,

3.) HP's (seemingly useless for this computer) 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium *USB* OS recovery stick. I ordered it about two weeks ago in late November. But the computer wouldn't boot from the stick. The message was something *like* "this is the wrong media for your computer." The one HP telephone tech with whom I talked about this was mystified about how I could have ordered the stick on-line from HP's own site,

4. Full backups of all my data. I had been using Windows 7 native backup utility and storing my data on an 8 TB external USB drive. I also have all my data except the OS backed up in the cloud via CrashPlan,

5.) The motherboard specs and pictures, and PDF versions of the HP support documentation including the machine's serial and product numbers,

6.) The laptop from which this is all being typed.

The computer has a single DVD writer, onboard USB ports, an integrated RJ-45 jack for Ethernet, an integrated wireless-n Ethernet adapter, and an integrated 16 GB video card. The hardware of the computer has been working just fine.  I'd recently swapped in a new 2 TB hard drive which has also worked well, and also a dual-band wireless PCI-Express wireless NIC.

Who might *know* how to get the computer to recognize its own installation media? Thanks very much for your help!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
31,621 31,528 2,869 6,933
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BluePlanet

You didn't provide any explanation of what's happening when you try to use the recovery media other than implying it is not recognized.

Here are instructions on using the recovery media:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

Basically, you should be able to boot from the first disk and then load the others, in turn.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
BluePlanet
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for asking.

I just discovered that I can boot into a Safe Mode Command Prompt. I can list C: and 😧 directory contents and see files. Now I'm wondering if I can execute a setup command from the computer's three matched Recovery DVDs.  But I don't know which file(s) to call, and I'm not used to DOS.

The error messages you asked about:

Before I wiped the hard drive,
and using either the HP Recovery USB I just bought or the HP Windows Recovery Media DVDs made before I wiped the drive, both media gave me a message something like "this is the wrong media for your computer." I don't remember the exact message. Of course that message wouldn't make sense for the HP Windows Recovery Media DVDs because they are matched to the computer.

Now, after wiping the hard drive (I delted the old partitions) using the ancient Windows 7 DVD (loaded with Service Pack 1), I can't get the computer to boot from its matchd HP Windows Recovery Media DVDs. I tinkered with boot order in the BIOS but that hasn't helped. The quick BIOS hardware tests all confirm that the hardware's happy.

Instead the computer boots into Windows automatic Startup Repair mode from my recent attempt at installing something workable with the ancient Windows 7 DVD. Next, a message that, "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" comes up. The problem details are: 

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:  StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01:  6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02:  6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03:  unknown

Problem Signature 04:  0

Problem Signature 05:  AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06:  1
Problem Signature 07:  BadDriver

OS Version:  6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID:  1033"

So, to me it looks like the current issue is getting the computer's software to recognize its own recovery discs. Maybe a boot manager disc would help. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation