cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
OatmealNuggy
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

May I use two Power Supplies?

HP Recommended
HP Elite SFF 8200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a question about using two power supplies! 🙂

I want to upgrade the video card, but I need to use a second power supply  to power it alone.

I can't replace the current power supply and just use one because this model uses a uniquely-shaped PSU that isn't upgradable.

Here is my desktop model information: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168353.pdf

My plan was to purchase an Add2PSU, but I'm not entirely sure if that's necessary or if this is possible.

Can't I just tape a second PSU on top of my desktop, and then connect the new video card to it from inside the desktop?  So when I want to turn on my desktop, I will just turn on the taped PSU first, then turn on the main PSU with the power button?

Thanks for your help, I've been reading a lot about secondary PSUs and I can't wait to learn more about them!

-OatmealNuggy

2 REPLIES 2
ELMTxVash
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

People have done this before its not as uncommon as you think. The main suggestion i will make though is be sure the GPU you select will fit inside the case. otherwise you will need a pice extension cable and it will just be a mess...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ELMTxVash
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also i forgot to mention you will need to use a jumper on the PSU for it to power up. it will not power up unless the atx pins are either attached to a motherboard or have a jumper in place

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation