cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Lukon
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Media Center PC m7250n hangs on Windows 7 final install phase.

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

When I try to install Windows 7 (32bit) on my m7250n, the process comes to the final “Completing Installation” phase and hangs.

The hang apparently occurs immediately after the boot-up into Win7 that commences this final phase. The progress bar just stops and holds still even after about 7 hours.

Before doing this install, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser. The resulting report claimed the computer could handle Windows 7. The report did, however, point out that my C: drive had insufficient room left for Windows 7. No big deal for me. I planned on putting Windows 7 on a different 82GB hard drive.

So this just meant that I had to pick the Custom Install option in the install process.

However, the 82GB hard drive in question is connected to the computer through a PCI adapter card. Therefore, the installer requests that I give it a path to a driver for that PCI card. So I do this. It is a Vista driver. The installer accepts this and allows me to continue the install process.

Everything works fine until the hang at the final phase.

OK, here's the info on the computer:

HP Media Center m7250n; Asus P5LP-LE/HP Lithium-UL8E; Phoenix AwardBIOS v3.17

Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz MPU

3GB RAM

First Channel Device 0 = None [SATA connection I can't use]

First Channel Device 1 = None [SATA connection I can't use]

Second Channel Device 0 = None [SATA connection I can't use]

Second Channel Device 1 = None [SATA connection I can't use]

Third Channel Device 0 = IDE; Quantum Fireball lct15 30; 30GB; NTFS; Windows XP SP3; Drive C:/sda

Third Channel Device 1 = IDE; WDC WD800BB-75DKA0; 80GB; Linux Ubuntu 14.04.1;sdb

PCI IDE Adapter Card = Promise Technology Ultra133 TX2; BIOS 2.20.0.15; installed at PCI2 slot

PCI IDE Adapter Card Device 0 = IDE; Maxtor 6 Y080P0; 82GB; NTFS; Drive I:/sdc (where I tried to put Windows 7)

PCI IDE Adapter Card Device 1 = None

PCI IDE Adapter Card Device 2 = IDE; Hewlett-Packard DVDRW 1035r; Drive D:/sr0

PCI IDE Adapter Card Device 3 = None

Since the optical drive is also attached through this PCI IDE adapter card, I cannot boot from optical drives. This means I am running the Windows 7 installation disc from within a Windows XP session, with the AutoRun option.

The cards:

PCIEX16 = Video Card, ATI Radeon x300se, enabled & connected to 2 monitors

PCI1 = TV Tuner & Video Capture Card, Hauppauge WinTV PVR 26xxx, proposed future use

PCI2 = PCI IDE Adapter Card, Promise Technology Ultra133 TX2

PCI3 = 56K Modem, Lucent Win Modem, enabled & connected to phone line

On board NIC enabled and connected to LAN & internet

On board sound circuit enabled and connected to audio equipment

So anyway, does anyone have any clues what the problem is and how to fix it?

4 REPLIES 4
erico
Level 17
Level 17
48,165 21,025 4,668 8,830
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I recommend two things. Install a larger SATA hard disk, perhaps 500GB and create a usb Windows 7 installer.

The install will be considerably faster and more reliable. Installing a SATA drive will move your PC into a more current generation. Your install should be done within about 45 minutes, even with a slow CPU as the one your PC has. It does support 64-bit operating systems. 32-bit drivers can be difficult to find.

I was surprised to see that you are still using IDE drives. They must have quite a few hours on them. They could even be near the expected MTBF. 

I am not an HP Employee. I volunteer my time.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Lukon
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, erico.

I made and installed from a USB thing as you suggested. While it was not the solution to my problem, it did help things go faster, I suspect.

The real solution was to install a hard drive to a native motherboard connector, and install Windows 7 to that hard drive. Apparently, Windows 7 cannot install to a hard drive connected through a PCI adapter card, in spite of accepting a link to a driver for that adapter card and being able to copy files to it and execute most of the install process to such a hard drive.

So yes, I did manage to install Windows 7 successfully.

But there was a bit of a glitch. The installer did not enter Windows 7 into the windows MBR on the hard drive containing Windows XP. This meant for for several of the final Windows 7 re-boots in the install process, I had to direct my computer to the correct disc to boot from, from the booting BIOS. And when installation was complete, I still had to use the boot BIOS to boot into Windows 7.

How to fix this I know not. It must take some special expertise about MBR's and stuff.

Fortunately for me, I didn't need to mess with it because I just so happen to have Ubuntu installed on the computer already, which uses the GRUB2 boot menu thing. All I needed to do was boot into Ubuntu and use the GRUB Customizer utility to add the WIndows 7 to the GRUB2 boot menu. All is well.

erico
Level 17
Level 17
48,165 21,025 4,668 8,830
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is good to hear it is up and running.

I did suggest installing a larger hard disk. 

In the opinion of most people, a better solution, or at least a more modern one, would have been to follow my suggestion of installing and using SATA disk drives.  Use the newer SATA interface. That is what it is there for. It is a faster data bus and does not use the old school sloppy IDE cables.

If you are using IDE drives youwill never know when they are going to stop working. That is going to happen.

I am not an HP Employee. I volunteer my time.
Lukon
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep. I know the risks. This is a third tier computer for the living room that won't be used much, made from leftovers. All is well.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation