cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dragonlady64
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post

Memory and graphic cards

HP Recommended
a6745f
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Have 2 questions-

1. Trying to upgrade my memory to the full amount of 16, but seems to only work up to 8-How do I get it to 12-16???

2. What graphic card does this take? It doesnt say anywhere and I want to upgrade that too!

Thanks

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,608 10,604 990 2,987
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to the SUPPORT PAGE, that PC can support

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four DDR2 SO-DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
    • PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 4GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs

That model is fairly old by computer age - 2008 but can support an older graphics card.  The power supply is only 300w, so not too much of a power card can be used.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Dragonlady64
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended
On memory- that was not my question. The computer cannot use the whole 16 because of windows- so i wanted to know for windows 8.1 what is the limit.
On graphics - can you please name some specifically that are better than what i have but will work in it? I have no idea what to get. Thank you!!
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,608 10,604 990 2,987
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The limit on RAM useage for Windows 8.1 is either 128GB or 512GB, depending on the version.  Assuming the one in question is normal Windows, it is 128GB.  512GB is for Enterprise or Pro.  The motherboard shown on the support page has four memory slots, so how is the memory populated on this unit and what RAM make and model and size of each module?

For the video card - since the spec page says all that is there is onboard graphics - if that is still the way it is, then what are the expectations of this new card.  What additional tasks do you wish to do?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
Dragonlady64
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended
For the ram. There are four slots each had 1 mg sticks. I was able to put in 2 4g but wanted to put in 16 which specs say it goes to yet doesnt work. So i have 8 right now. I took the spec of what goes in so they are just 4 g instead of 1 g.

Graphics it has a ati radeon hd3200 in it. I dont know if its a card or onboard. But i know that this card alone u can buy so im nit sure its onboard. I need the better graphics for warcraft and to design a website. Yes i know i might be a little older (52) but im disabled so gives me something to do) and a girl but thats why i need the better graphics.
I used to work on computers so i can install myself. But what i dont know is what specific cards will work! The specs and my computer say its the hd3200. I will look and see if its onboard if it is i know there is a way to add but im not sure how that is done.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,608 10,604 990 2,987
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The support page on that model says:

• Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 (Supports DirectX® 10)
  • Supports concurrent use of dual displays connected to onboard DVI-D and VGA connectors.
  • Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards as independent graphics adapters.*

It would indicate to me that the graphics mentioned are onboard.  The GeForce GT 750 series is a good value card and should work in that PC.  I cannot say it will work for sure.  Shop around on the specs to make sure you get one that can run with the 300w supply or consider changing the power supply, too.

As far as to the memory, I would go to the Crucial website and let them verify what has been said here.  They will recommend the memory and

Using either tool guarantees compatibility when you order on Crucial.com

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I was able to put in 2 4g but wanted to put in 16 which specs say it goes to yet doesn't work. So i have 8 right now.

Please explain what you mean by "does not work"?

If you remove all 4 sticks, and put in the two 4GB sticks, does Windows boot & run properly, and does the Windows "Task Manager" show that 8GB is detected?

If you then add two 1GB sticks,  does Windows boot & run properly, and does the Windows "Task Manager" show that 10GB is detected?

How are you using the computer, such that you think that 10GB is "not enough" RAM?

When running your "usual" programs & web-browser & E-mail program, start Windows "Task Manager", and look at the usage of RAM.   Is your computer using all the RAM, or is there still some "unused" ?

Capture.JPG

In the above picture, the "cached" memory is used to boost the performance of the "file-system",

and there is over 6GB of "available" memory, i.e., no need to pay money to increase the amount of "available" RAM.

0 Kudos
Dragonlady64
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I tried to do 2 /4g pluss 2 /1g but it boots to hp splash screen and you cannot do anything . Escape fkeys nothing. So that doesnt work. Only have 8 mg installed. And that works shows as 8 installed. Because to play warcraft you need alot of memory so they game isnt so choppy. And i know its mem cause now it plays a little better but still have every game setting as low as possible. So i wanted to add at least the other 4 to make 12.
But when i put anything over that it does the same thing gets stuck on splash screen and does nothing. So i figured if i could bring up to 12 and up the graphic card should be good.
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,608 10,604 990 2,987
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see nothing about results from the Crucial site, so assume you did not do that.  Also be aware that very few games will run better than choppy using onboard graphics.  The most probable cause of poor gaming framerates is onboard graphics.  You will need a better graphics solution.  The version of WarCraft is not mentioned but recommended PC requirements from this site:  http://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-warcraft-legion-system-requirements-are-here/

Is

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3330, AMD FX-6300, or better
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R7 260X or better

The CPU in the a6745f is Athlon X2 5050e, maybe possible

The onboard graphics - no way.  Definetly need a graphics upgrade.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Dragonlady64
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ok so what can i put in there? A card since specs say pci express. Or if not i read about an adapter of some sort???
This is not the only reason but out of what i use computer for that takes up the most. So can u please specify exactly???
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation