cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
krzemien
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

Memory upgrade & HDD install

HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-095na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have just purchased HP OMEN 870-095na PC and am setting it up. I would possibly like to:

* Install another SATA WD 2TB HDD inside

* Upgrade memory with another 8GB module in dual channel

For the former I need special installation screws to ensure HDD fits in slides nicely - and I browsed the forum already and can see that there seems to be a problem on supply side.

Can anybody please advise where these can be obtained from quickly and easily in the UK? Found them on eBay in America, but shipping costs are plain silly.

(Please to not send me to Screwfix or Europarts to do the browsing, I would like to have exact link / model if possible)

For the latter I need exact specification (manufacturer, model, type, mark) of the module currently installed to ensure exact match in dual channel mode. I am somewhat hesitant to remove it as it's a bit tight in there.

(Please do not advise me with just DDR4/2133/PC-4/1700 MHz answer as that's not enough)

I have just contacted Support via phone for these two above points but response obtained was not very helpful (to say the least) - not to mention the fact that their system was down. Not great experience on my first day!

Regards

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,643 6,627 625 1,482
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

HP uses a torx screw. You don't need them.

I have two SSD's and one HDD installed in my PC using the same cage that you have and I have used low profile common HDD screws with screw heads matching HP's torx screws.

The SSD's are connected to a Sabrent 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter using screws provided by Sabrent. All drives slide in the cages and lock in place correctly.

HP motherboards are picky on memory. The best fit for HP PC's from personal experience is Crucial Memory running at the speed and timings prescribed by HP.

You can't run high test memory at faster speeds and timings on the HP motherboards.  If you try to do this you will be sending the faster memory back to the seller.

Grzy

0 Kudos
krzemien
Author
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Re HDD: I will play with the screws I currently have from my old desktop PC (hence this purchase & queries) and will see whether I have a problem or not.

Re memory modules: this is not what I enquired about - and I am not interested in overclocking at all. But your point is taken.

What I wanted to know was the spec of the module fitted at the moment to ensure the second one I buy matches it 100%. I have found this information now using CPU-Z:

Untitled.png

Which enables me to proceed.

What really amazes me is that there does not seem to be available any detailed spec for this (and similar HPs as well) PC.

0 Kudos
krzemien
Author
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

...just to follow up on this one...

I did not have any problems with sourcing screws for my HDD - the ones I had were just fine. Thanks for your confirmation.

With regards to the memory expansion though... I purchased exactly the same module as the one supplied by HP in my Omen:

Untitled.png

But as computer was playing havoc in January / February (spontaneous and random BSODs indicating hardware failure) prior to me even receiving this module from supplier (late Feb), PC went straight back to HP for rectifications. These ultimately were: motherboard & graphics card replacement (sic!).

I received computer form Support yesterday and after usual round of HP Software / Windows Updates I left it running overnight. No BSODs / Live KernelEvents were seen and so far so good.

Now, I fitted this second RAM module and ca. 1 minute after I logged in I saw an BSOD. Putting aside the eventuality that new module is faulty (usually slim chance), why?

Thoughts?

Also, is there any particular pattern in which slots need to be populated with RAM? As you can see from the screenshot above, DDR4 module supplied by HP sits in slot 4 / blue slot (?) - why?

Can anybody advise? I cannot find any documentation for this motherboard (Thimphu, Z170) that would explain it.

(I added the other module into slot 2 / blue slot in order to run memory in Dual Channel Mode - and I will play with swapping modules around / run MemTest today in the evning to ascertain where the problem is exactly).

Your advice on this point will be most appreciated though.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,643 6,627 625 1,482
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello krzemien

It is always possible the new stick of of RAM is bad. 

Your motherboard is a Z170 and is made by Pegatron. The Z170 MB's use the blue/black color coding on memory slots.

The blue slots should be populated first startng with the blue slot close to the CPU socket. Then if using three sticks of RAM start with the black slot closest to the CPU socket. 

So it sounds right if you put the second stick of RAM in the second blue slot.

Try using the new stick of RAM only in the first blue slot and see what happens. The RAM could be bad if system Bluescreens.

This pic explains the correct memory placement on an ASUS Z170 MB.

Z170 Memory.PNG

Grzy

0 Kudos
krzemien
Author
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey

Thanks for your response.

Apologies but I cannot see your picture - don't know why? Can you re-supply?

Also, your response:

The blue slots should be populated first startng with the blue slot close to the CPU socket.

is at odds with this picture though:

original.png

Slot 4 is the farthest one?

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,643 6,627 625 1,482
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

The pic has to be approved. I can't see your pics either.

HP sometimes do things different. Maybe you have to populate RAM modules starting at the memory slot farthest away from the CPU socket on your motherboard?

Grzy

0 Kudos
krzemien
Author
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The pic has to be approved. I can't see your pics either.

Hmm, what does that mean exactly and who's doing it? Bizarre to say the least.

HP sometimes do things different. Maybe you have to populate RAM modules starting at the memory slot farthest away from the CPU socket on your motherboard?

Maybe - but who knows that for sure? As I have very little faith that this information is held by Support Teams...

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,643 6,627 625 1,482
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

HP moderators have to approve pics. They will show at some point but not now.

Here is shot of Asus Z170 showing memory slot A1 close to CPU socket.

Z170.PNG

Try the new stick of RAM in slot HP used at factory and see if PC works okay. Then add HP stick of RAM to second blue slot and see what happens.

I cannot find any detail for your PC at HP support site on which memory slots to use with one, two, three, or four sticks of RAM.

grzy

0 Kudos
krzemien
Author
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP moderators have to approve pics. They will show at some point but not now.

That's funny as my first e-mail with CPU-Z image is two months old now and I cannot see this pic myself either...!

Mods, would you kindly mind approving these? What's the point of having a forum where crucial information like that cannot be shared with / is not visible to others???

In either case I will play with this module and will keep you posted.

I also checked ASUS Z170 manual (can't see your pic again!) and indeed from there it appears that it would definitely be good to get some clarifications from HP how memory modules should be populated. Will probably chase them separately.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation