Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (6,577 Views)
Accepted Solution

Missing HP Recovery Manager from HP Pavillion running Windows 8.1

Hi,

Just got a new HP Pavillion that is running Windows 8.1 from start up (not upgraded by me).

I'm trying to create the system recovery disks using HP Recovery Manager but it's not on the system.

I've used the Windows 8 search function but the program doesn't show up.

Any advice would be welcome.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Missing HP Recovery Manager from HP Pavillion running Windows 8.1

I find it very odd that it does not come with a recovery manager though.  Smiley Indifferent

Are you by chance located in the UK? I found Support and Drivers listed in the HP support site for the UK, not the US.

IF so, I would call HP for your region to find out if I could purchase the disks.

UK support

View solution in context
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 11 (6,554 Views)

[ Edited ]

When you say someone else upgraded the computer for you, did you buy this computer from a store with win8 installed and a friend helped you after the fact or did you actually buy this used (not new from a store) and it came upgraded already? This could be the problem.

To verify, you tried this and you cannot bring up the HP Recovery Manager at all? Can you even start a recovery from startup via the F-11 key? If the Recovery Partition is missing (visible in Disk Manager), the whole drive could have been wiped first.

If you cannot access the Recovery Manager at all, then whatever the other person did to the computer broke or removed it. Simply upgrading from 8 to 8.1 does not remove the recovery manager.

Your option at this point is to contact HP Support to see if you can order the recovery disks. The disks will install the system back to how the computer originally came. If originally Windows 8, the disks will be for Windows 8 not 8.1 and thus you will have to do the upgrade again.

I had this very problem with a Laptop that someone else worked on and the recovery manager was missing. I called Support and they instructed me to order recovery disks too. 

Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (6,546 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The computer is brand new and has windows 8.1 out of the box - sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post.

Just can't find the HP Recovery Manager - do you know what the exe is for this?  Can't find a reference for that anywhere.

Thanks

Regents Professor
Message 4 of 11 (6,541 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK. The only way I know for Windows 8.1 is to go to the Search bar and type Recovery. I get the option to choose HP Recovery Manager or HP Recovery Media Creation..

You could try navigating to the application start-up file this way.  The Media Creation application start-up is named Rebecca.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Recovery Manager\Rebecca.exe

Provost
Message 5 of 11 (6,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC.

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers.

Some of the HP PCs do not implement support for the HP Recovery Manager.

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Top Student
Message 6 of 11 (6,525 Views)

Hi,

It's a Pavillion 500-245ea.

I've searched for the HP Recovery Manager but it doesn't appear at all using the Windows search in Windows 8.

Thanks

Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (6,524 Views)

Thanks,

I'm not in front of the machine at the moment so can't check straightaway but will post back if I can find rebecca.exe

Regents Professor
Message 8 of 11 (6,519 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry Im running between jobs today. Yes knowing the model # will help and I forget to ask sometimes.

"Some of the HP PCs do not implement support for the HP Recovery Manager."

Good to know. Thanks Dave.

Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (6,475 Views)

Hi Big Dave

It's a Pavillion 500-245ea.

When you say  "Some of the HP PCs do not implement support for the HP Recovery Manager", do you know what they do offer?  If the HP Recovery Manager isn't on the PC is there another way of creating the recovery disks?

Thanks for all your help.

Regents Professor
Message 10 of 11 (6,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP_Eddie the easiest way to find out specs for your model is to look it up directly on the HP website.

HP Pavilion 500-245ea Desktop PC Product Specifications

Scroll down to Software:

Titles that shipped with PC

recuvmangr.jpg

According to the specs, your system does not come with the Recovery Manager.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation