cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
boldblue
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Missing PC Recovery Disc #2 on HP Pavillion a1600n XP

I inherited this computer but the "PC Recovery Disc #2" is missing.  The "PC Recovery Disc #1"is HP5013-7947; and beneath that  "Build ID: 64NAem MPA3".  There are two "HP Media Center PC Supplemental Recovery Disc" and 'HP 5013-8628" and "Disc ID: 64NAemMPA3S4" is on both of them.  They appear to be identical.

My question is: How can I go about getting "PC Recovery Disc #2"?  If not, can I get around this by using my own XP Pro and installing the original motheboard drivers?

Thanks for replies, if any, in advance.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,808 5,036
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You might try ordering the HP Recovery Disks. A1600n XP Recovery.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here. HP Recovery Disks.

The XP drivers are here for this PC.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,783 9,779 922 2,674
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

boldblue:

There should be a "Recovery" choice when first boot.  Is that there and does it work?  If yes, then that is the same as the Recovery disk set. 

"If not, can I get around this by using my own XP Pro and installing the original motheboard drivers?" That will work to install the OS but there will not be the Media Center option like it came with originally and the COA sticker key will not work with the XP Pro install.  Also, HP probably will not have the Recovery set available anymore, but look here:http://www.restoredisks.com/findrestoredisk.aspx

BTW:  If the recovery partition is still there, possibly can make a new set of CD's.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
boldblue
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply.  This was the previous owners first (and now LAST) use of proprietary software/hardware combinations.  So, he wasn't aware of the prohibition against formatting the harddrive.  Apparently, he had tried to get rid of a rootkit maliciously installed on his system by formatting the hd and deleting all the partitions.  That's a bad time to discover that "disc #2" was missing, hahaha! 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,783 9,779 922 2,674
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, that is too late.  Well the choice to reinstall like it was is available from the link I posted, or just install Win XP from a retail disk, however, Win XP Media Center is harder to come by for end user to install.  If the install is going to be a problem, get Windows 7.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
nathanael_stven
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have the disk for you if you need them they are in iso format i can send it by usps mail you can email me @

{Removed for privacy} you will just have to pay for the shipping

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation