Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h9
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Last year I switched to a new internet / TV provider, who took my old wifi connection and upgraded it to 5G. They left the old account name, and assigned that to the 2.5G connection, and then made a duplicate of that with "5G" at the end, and it's been working fine.

This morning I did a complete factory reset of my HPE h9, which had developed way too many problems. So far restoring everything is going well, but the former "5G" wifi connection no longer shows up in my list of available connections on the PC. It does show up - and I'm accessing it - on my two cell phones and my tablet: just not on the PC.  The provider thinks this is an issue with the computer, not them. So right now I'm stuck iwth the 2.5G connection.

I've hunted around in the Network and Sharing Center, but no luck so far.

Any suggestions are welcome.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number of your PC, and what model wireless network adapter does it have?

If you don't know what model wireless network adapter your PC has, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Model #: h9-1215t

802.11n Wireless LAN card

Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

HP Recommended

Thanks.

The 802.11n Wireless LAN card doesn't give me much to go on to determine who makes it.

Please post the hardware ID for the 802.11n Wireless LAN card.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID.

The device isn't unknown,  but do the same steps to find it for the 802.11n Wireless LAN card.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Manufacturer: Ralink Technology

Driver date: 3/5/12

Driver version: 3.2.12.0

HP Recommended

BTW, Paul, in looking at the other post from today on what seems to be the same issue, I should point out that my RCN modem is connected via USB port to my computer, and that the modem is hooked in to a wall cable.  So actually it's occurring to me that this question may be moot, since I'm not actually connecting the PC to the internet via wifi, but via cable.

With that said, I feel like my internet speed is slower since the factory reset.

HP Recommended

I still need the hardware ID for the 11n wireless network adapter.

You just posted the driver info.

You need to click on the Details tab for the 11n wireless adapter.

Then you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

HP Recommended

802.11n Wireless LAN card Details.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

The hardware ID you posted indicates that your PC has a Ralink RT 5390 wireless network adapter.

That is only a single band (2.4 GHz only) wireless network adapter.

http://ogemray.en.alibaba.com/product/557898115-200609573/Ralink_RT5390_Mini_PCIe_wireless_module_15...!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.