cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WilsonFrontier
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Monitor Refuses to "Wake-Up" from Sleep Mode, Says "No Input Signal"

HP Recommended

For the past few years, whenever I walk away from my PC for more than 15 minutes or so, I put my machine in sleep mode.  This has worked well for me for quite some time.  Until last week, when suddenly my monitor stopped "waking up" from such.  Instead, it comes back (power button on monitor goes from orange to white) only to say "Monitor going to sleep"and go back to orange.   This while the case lights up properly and makes the appropriate sounds it usually makes when running.  And when I press the auto-adjust button on the monitor, it will say "no input signal" for both VGA and DVI.  (I use VGA). 

I've done a whole lot of Google sleuthing, trouble-shooting, and even asked a friend who knows PCs well.  The basic conclusion I've come to is, problems waking from sleep mode are common place and wide-spread and have dozens of potential fixes, none of them guarenteed.  The range of reasons for my sudden issue could likewise be any number of a dozen or more things.  I've heard anything from OS software, drivers, to hardware like power supply, video card, to so many other things in between...:smileysad: 

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas though?

I'm on an HP Pavilion Elite m9500t, with Windows Vista 64-bit SP2. 

Monitor is HP w1858 wide LCD monitor on NVidia GeForce 9600 gs.

If anyone has any ideas or needs more system info... let me know.  It's become second nature to use sleep mode, and going back to the reboot each time method is... tiresome.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 451 1,229
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello WilsonFrontier,

I understand that your HP w1858 wide LCD Monitor when it goes to sleep now will not wake up on your computer running Windows Vista. I would suggest you try the following to see it you can identify where the issue is coming from.

First, if possible try the monitor on another computer. If the issue persists try the following steps:

Step 1. Unplug the power cord from the monitor and from the wall outlet

Step 2. Hold the power button down for one minute

Step 3. Plug the power cord back into the monitor and then into the wall outlet (not a powerbar or surge protector)

Step 4. Press the Menu button on the front of the monitor

Step 5. Navigate to the Factory Reset option and select it.

Step 6. If the issue persistes then the issue appears to be a physical issue and I think it would be best if you contact HP Technical Support for repair options

If when you tried it on a different computer the issues did not persist then put it back on the original computer and follow the steps on the HP Support document: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows Vista) to restore your computer back to before the issue started (last week). If this works then it is most likely an update that is causing your issue and I would advise you to pay attention to what updates come through for the next bit as it may try again. It may come through properly this time or not, but at least you will have an idea as to why it is happening.

Please re-post if you require additional support. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Tags (1)
WilsonFrontier
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So here's a new twist: running CHKDSK today, twice, and the monitor went to sleep during such.  Which... does not strike me as normal or OK.

Dunidar, I've been unable to try the step procedure you listed.  I'm disabled and disconnecting, unplugging, and plugging back in so many connections is... difficult, to say the least.  I'd need someone's help; and that's not easy to arrange when I never know when the problem will occur.  :S

0 Kudos
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 451 1,229
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HeikeH
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the EXACT same problem as Wilson Frontier.... except I am on Windows 7 using HP Pavilion Slimline with an HP w1858 Monitor.

SOMEBODY.,please help!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation