Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am not sure whether I am posting this problem in the right category but here goes.

Lately, whenever I switch on my computer (Pavilion Elite m9291d), my monitor (HP w2207h) will display a message "VGA - No Signal, HDMI - No Signal'. Then the monitor goes to sleep and turns black. I have to restart 8 times or more and only by chance I could access to my computer.

Yesterday, I managed to go to HP Online Support and was advised by them to go the control panel (under classic view), go to the power option and click 'NEVER' in the display and computer to sleep options. Then after saving the settings, I am suppose to go to the device manager and disable the mouse and keyboard. After that, I have to restart my computer.

Can some please help me and enlighten me with some questions:

1) Why do I have to go to 'Classic View' and not the normal Vista View?

2) If it is the monitor problem then why do I have to uninstall the keyboard and mouse?

3) Will updating Live Vista causes upsets to the computer setting?

I have not tried the above steps yet because today, I managed to get into the computer by chance. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

If your monitor is black when coming out of sleep mode, this is the thread to follow: Monitor black after coming out of sleep mode

Please let me know your results. If the above steps do not work, please provide the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your notebook product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Does this occur on certain programs, or all programs?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

5. What steps have been attempted from my first post on this thread, and what were the results?

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

1) Why do I have to go to 'Classic View' and not the normal Vista View?

It doesn't matter which 'view' you use to get to the power options and device manager.  Personally I like the classic view better - fewer mouse clicks to get to exactly where I want to go.  To me, the newer view is not as logical.

2) If it is the monitor problem then why do I have to uninstall the keyboard and mouse?

I don't know.  And I don't have the w2207h, but I remember seeing several other posts in this forum about problems with this monitor and the sleep mode or something like that.  You can find some of these posts by using the search at the top of every page in the forum.  I just put in w2207h and got four pages of results!

And I wanted to add - there is a BIG difference between uninstalling a device driver (the term you used in this question) and disabling a device driver (the term you used in the paragraph before your questions.  Which instruction did HP Customer Support give you?  I suspect they said to uninstall, but please confirm with your notes or contact HP again.

3) Will updating Live Vista causes upsets to the computer setting?

Of course anytime you update your operating system it is going to change how your computer reacts.  Hopefully always for the better 🙂 but sometimes not, depending on your exact configuration.  That is one of the reasons Vista makes all of those 'restore' points - so that you can go back if the update did not work well for your configuration.  At least that's the principle; I've never had to utilize it myself.

HP Recommended

Thank You Imann. You are indeed a big help.:smileyhappy: I am very 'lost' when it comes to computers. I only know how to use it. :smileyvery-happy:

Guess what... I can't even access into the computer. The monitor keep saying 'No Input Signal' and then it goes to sleep.:smileysad:

Prior to this, I have checked for loose wiring, and clicked 'NEVER' in the sleep mode option for both monitor and computer but not the uninstall keyboard and moue part. (that is why I post the question).

Yesterday, I noticed something too.... the receiver for the keyboard and mouse does not blink anymore when I tried to resync it.

Could that also trigger this nighmare? Hmmmm.....

Now I can't even get into the computer to check whether it is the computer problem or the monitor problem...

I am currently replying from my office computer.

Guess I have to carry the whole desktop to the service center... :smileysad:

HP Recommended

my monitor goes into sleep mode no signal. i replaced the monitor

HP Recommended
If you're comfortable "getting under the hood", open the box and make sure your video card is properly seated by gently rocking it back and forth in it's slot.  Also make sure the cable are connected tightly.
HP Recommended

I do not think it is a monitor problem....I think it is a problem with your computer. This problem just started with me yesterday and it wasn't letting me stay on long enough to change any settings. Finally, I got fed up and went to bed. The next morning, it gave me enough time to change some settings before turning off...but obviously, it wasn't helpful because it went to sleep again anyway.

I tried changing from an optical mouse to the wired mouse, I tried changing keyboards, I tried hooking another monitor (which works fine on my other computer). It shut down just the same...so I know, at this point, it is inside the computer and not the external parts.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. I did some reading and I saw trouble shooting options (about 16 things to try). This is really only useful if you can get your computer to stay on long enough to do them and that isn't the caes with my computer right now. I can only think of 2 things to do: 1) wipe out the entire computer with my factory discs and lose whatever is on my computer (perhaps that will restore everything to the original factory settings), or 2) take it to someone and pay an arm and a leg to try to do a better diagnosis (which may or may not be helpful).

I am about to try wiping the computer out (providing it doesn't shut down in the process). If it works, I will have to reinstall anything I had previously added and lose all pictures, documents, movies, music, etc... I will keep you poted on how that goes.

HP Recommended

Hello pinupgirl3,

I am surprise that I am still receiving helpful tips about my 1 year old problem.

Yes, you are right.... it is not the problem of the monitor BUT more of the graphic card.

The tech people over at HP Kuala Lumpur did some test and changed the card.

Now, I have another problem.... my sound from my desktop is not working. Luckily, the sound from the 'jack' which connects to the headphone is working. I just bought a pair of cheap speakers and the sound comes out from there. Haven't got the time to check what the problem is. I think it could be due to the sound card.....

PS. Hope all goes well with your monitor....

HP Recommended

I had the same problem on Dec 12, 2010.  I'm convinced it happened after the latest windows update. 

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit on a HP Pavilion MCE desktop PC; HP w2408h LCD display; NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS Display adapter; Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 Video Controller and Realtek High Definition Audio.

The only way I could get the monitor to respond was to disconnect the power cord for approx. 1 minute and then reconnect.  My monitor worked fine while I was in DOS but once I got into windows Media Center-Live TV it started flickering and then went black.  My resolution was constantly changed by the system from 1920x1200 @60Hz  to  1921x1200 @59Hz which caused the monitor to go black.

Don't worry about losing anything with System Restore.  It will ask if you want to backup any of your files.  JUST BE SURE TO HAVE AN AVAILABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO BACK EVERYTHING UP ON.  The only thing you will lose is your calendar if you haven't done a manual export.

It took me two days to reinstall the factory version of windows and all the windows updates that have been installed in the last two years.  It took another day to reinstall all my software and data. 

As long as I don't start Media Center my screen resolution is great.  Once I start Media Center the resolution goes all wonky again. 

Does anyone know what registry settings for Media Center could be changed to stop it from tampering with the screen resolution?

I would really like to be able to use my Media Center Live TV again!

HP Recommended

Hello Krystal89, You might try updating the drivers for the Nvidia video card from the Nvidia site that can be found  Here

The Realtek drivers can be found  Here

The Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 drivers can be found  Here

Many times, the Microsoft update drivers do not work well with the existing hardware on your system.

It is usually best to download and install the latest drivers for your hardware from the product manufacturer's web site.

This may not resolve the issue, but would be the first thing to try.

Hope thios helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

I did install all the drivers as you suggested but it did not fix my problem.

What DID fix my problem was creating a new user account.  This new account has absolutely no problem with displaying  my Media Center Live TV.

Obviously, my old account has a very problematic registry.

Thanks again for trying to help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.