Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
P 6580t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About 1/2 the time, computer will wake up from sleep, but the monitor will not. The only way I know to get it fully back is to reboot.

I have tried all the sleep combinations available, but nothing works except not allowing it to sleep at all. Help!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DK19

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the computer isn't waking up from sleep mode,
Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should help resolve the issue,

Please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly.

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
  2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
  3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
  2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.
  3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS

For more steps, please click here

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The computer is waking up from sleep.  But, the monitor will not about 50% of the time.  I have to re-boot to correct the situation.

Waking up the monitor is the problem; not the computer itself.

HP Recommended

@DK19

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand the issue is with waking up the monitor and not the computer itself,

However, once you've changed the options mentioned in my last post, the issue should be resolved.

The alternative you have is to change the power options to the following:

Turn off the display - Never

Put the computer to sleep - Your preferred time

This way the computer will go the sleep and the monitor will go into a standby (power saving mode)

And when you either shake the mouse or use the keyboard, the PC will awake without any issues.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried that too thinking that would solve it.  No luck.  The monitor stays de powered.  I am beginning to think it is a loose wire in the cable.  Sometimes it connects; sometimes not.   But, in order for that to be, that wire would only have to handle waking up the computer because the monitor works normal is all respects.

HP Recommended

@DK19

Thank you for replying,

If the monitor is depowered / no power on the power button after it goes to sleep, that's definitely an issue with the monitor as it could be turning off rather than entering sleep mode,

Please check with an alternate monitor to be on the safer side.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.