Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
canadianeh_2 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mother board and Graphics card compatibility issue?

HP Pavilion p7-1127c
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Good evening I recently purcahsed a Asus geforce gtx 760 from a friend and a new Thermaltake TR2 600W power supply for my computer.  

I installed them both and turned my computer on.  All components had power, the computer stalled at the HP blue loading screen with the hand.  It gave me the option to enter boot mode but would not allow me to access it.  There was a single beep with a long pause and then another beep, this hapened for a bit and then multiple beeps but would not allo me past that screen.  

I reinstalled my older graphics card and left the new power supply back in. The computer started up fine and I am still able to use it.  

I tried installing the card again, made sure all connections were good, but received the same result. 

I did not take off any of the existing drivers or was unable to insatll the cd drivers that came with the card.

CPU - HP Pavilion p7-1127c

Graphics Card - ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5

Power Supply - Thermaltake TR2 600W

Thank you,

Curtis

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

You have to remove all drivers. This could take multiple uninstalls. Check Programs and Features to verify this.

The GTX 760 requires UEFI BIOS.

It will not initialize using Legacy BIOS.

You have to go with Nvidia GTX 600 series cards or look at Sapphire Legacy/UEFI cards.

MSI and Gigabyte offer newer Nvidia cards with Legacy/UEFI  BIOS also.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
canadianeh_2 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply, this graphics card is not supported by my motherboard correct?  I apologize for my lack of knowledge this is the first time I have done anything above plugging in ram.

So basically I need to upgrade my motherboard and processer if I want to use this graphics card, or downgrade the graphics card (I would prefer not to do this as I am hoping to run a game above the minimum settings for once).

Thank you,

Curtis

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
750 739 67 130
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

That's right, your motherboard can't run this graphics card.

Upgrading the motherboard and processor will work.

You will now also have to purchase an operating system and new RAM.  You're probably looking at upgrade costs starting around $600.00 to $700.00 for those three components and an operating system. I would not use the existing HP chassis so you also need a new tower.

You could build a new PC using a GTX 960 or purchase a new PC with a GTX 960 or GTX 970 graphics card offered as a configurable option.

There is no inexpensive way accomplish this.

Jay

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation