cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dubina
Level 1
17 9 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Must I burn a set of three recovery disks for my new win 10 HP Envy 750 CB PC?

HP Envy 750 437cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As I was setting up my new HP Envy 750 437cb Win 10 PC, I encountered aome instruction to burn 3 recovery image DVD disks in the optical drive.  For some reason the optical drive doesn't seem to work like the DVD durner on my old Pavilion, and as I puttered about trying to solve the 3-disk-burning-recovery-set problem, I read some comments / words of advice that seemed to say Windows doesn't need recovery disk images like Win 7, for example.  Forthermore, I see the new Envy has a D drive for "Recovery".  So I am baffled in several ways, from the seemingly balky optical drive to the purported need to burn three Recovery DVDs.  What to do?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
9,790 9,786 923 2,675
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Recovery Manager, once opened, should guide you on how to burn the DVD's.  Be aware that there are requirements about the type of DVD media to use, ETC.  However you are correct about the D drive having the "Recovery" partition.  That is the first line of defense if something would happen and a Recovery was needed.  The Recovery disk set is in case the hard drive fails and the Recovery Partiton  cannot restore the PC back to normal on the new hard drive.  Then you woud use the DVD set created by the user and Recovery Manager.  BTW: If DVD's are a problem, the user can use a USB Flash drive option.

You are also correct in the fact that Windows 10 can be restored by using a Windows 10 reset disk.

HERE IS A GUIDE on all of the options we discussed and more

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Level 15
Level 15
18,947 18,889 1,764 4,173
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dubina

The need for three DVDs comes from the fact that the Recovery Set that HP creates not only reinstalls Windows, but it also recreates all the partitions, restores the Recovery partition, and reloads not only Windows, but also all the drivers and the HP utilities.

This is far too much data to fit on one DVD, so it takes a set of three (plus, usually a Drivers CD) to hold all of this.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation