cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
anglogator
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

My Book 3.0 (1TB, USB 3.0) detection problem with Envy Phoenix 810-135qe

HP Recommended

I have  a My Book 3.0 (1TB, USB 3.0)... The older My Book not the newer one... "My Book Essential" or something like that.

I was using it with W7 x64 backup utility on an older HP desktop (HP Pavilion a6560t) without issue up to the day my new HP Envy 810-135qe arrived. I downloaded the latest drivers from WD support, and the thing PnPed fine off the non-powered USB 3.0 on the back of the 810. However, the 810 drops connection after sleep, hibernation, lock, or simply just over time. I've run diagnostics on the WD and the cables, all checked out fine. I tried shutting off power saving to the USB 3.0s in device manager (just a guess), and that seemed to work for a few weeks, however I'm still having the detection issue periodically. All of my drivers are up to date on the HP side. I'm fully reformatting the WD now to see if that might somehow fix the issue (I'll update in a few days on how that worked out).

Anyone have any idea what's amiss? I suspect something with the BIOS. HP chat support has been no help (they go through the same checks I've already done myself) and they got really spooky on another chat when I asked about adding a SSD as the boot drive (I knew it was an issue from here and other forums).... Handed me off to second tier support, and all they would tell me is that they couldn't tell me anything... Basically, no support for any config except for how it was shipped because it's a "custom build" (yes, buyer's regret big time).

Secondly, anyone running a similar config with a en external back up that's running smoothly? My WD is getting old so I was thinking of one of the newer portable USB 3.0 HDDs (both 2.5 and 3.5). My specs follow.

HP Envy 810qe - Win 7 (810-135qe)

Product number: F9A63AV#ABA

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64
  • 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K processor quad-core [3.5GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
  • 4GB Nvidia GeForce GT640 [DVI,DP,HDMI & VGA via adapter]
  • 12GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMMs]
  • 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • 16GB mSATA SSD Cache
  • Microsoft Office Trial
  • Security software trial
  • Blu-ray Reader & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • 15-in-1 Multi-slot Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Front/Top), Audio [Front 2USB2.0, Top 2USB3.0]
  • No TV Tuner Card
  • Integrated Sound, Envy Audio; Beats Audio
  • HP USB keyboard and optical mouse
  • HP Wireless 802.11 a/g/n with Bluetooth(R)(2x2)
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've moved on... I've tried updating the BIOS and switching it a media server/cloud storage on a router more than capable of handling it, but it's still acting odd. Thanks for the responses OG.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,332 18,958 2,930 9,355
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anglogator, welcome to the forum.

I have the exact computer (See my signature below.).  I have installed a Samsung EVO 840 500 GB SSD.  It works absolutely great.  Samsung SSD's seem to be the only brand that boots without changing any settings in the UEFI Firmware.  If you decide to buy one, I will be glad to walk you through the installation process.

I also have a "WD My Book Essentials" 2 GB external hard drive.  It works perfectly without making any changes to the BIOS.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
OG,

Just curious, did you remove the stock HDD or were you able to repurpose it? If kept, is the mSATA SDD card still acting as a cache.

I am planning on going to a SSD, but want to put the usual suspects on a 256GB SSD and use the HDD for file storage (I'm more of general user than a gamer). I came to the conclusion dozens of forum treads ago that it would take a CMOS/BIOS wipe and repurposing the mSATA SSD card/slot (some say reformat the HDD as there could be code on it that will try to restore the old config although that sounds hookie to me).

Anyway, thanks for the reply, OG.

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,332 18,958 2,930 9,355
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

I am not using the HDD that came with the computer.  I disconnected it after the SSD was installed.  So, I am not certain if the 16 GB mSATA SSD Cache will work with the HDD as a backup drive.  I have two USB hard drives and one USB flash drive that I use for backup.

When I installed the SSD, I connected it to a spare SATA port on the motherboard.  I installed the Samsung Data Migration software on the HDD, leaving it connected as it came from the factory.  Once the cloning was complete, I disconnected the HDD and rebooted.  The SSD was immediately recognized and worked without any changes to the BIOS.  Once the SSD was working, I used Samsung Magician software to optimize it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I saw your post at...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/UEFI-BIOS-Access-Changing-Boot-Drive-Order-To-SSD-arrg...

...I bookmarked it. My 2tb HDD is a Samsung OEM (Baracuda). Was yours? I wonder if that's the difference between you experience and others.
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Also, the My Book 3.0 I referenced is the original (as in first) WD USB 3.0 external HDD... It's ~5 years old.
anglogator
Author
Level 2
14 11 2 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've moved on... I've tried updating the BIOS and switching it a media server/cloud storage on a router more than capable of handling it, but it's still acting odd. Thanks for the responses OG.

View solution in original post

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation