Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PavilionP7-1203
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I place DVD in and nothing happens.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@LBM5

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Welcome to Windows 10!  You need to read through the linked information:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10567/windows-10-dvd-player

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying. My DVD was working and I have tired different DVDs and none work.  I insert the disc and close the tray and  nothing happens. The desktop makes a noise and the light blinks and then the screen goes back to the home page.  Does this help any?  LBM3  Thanks WAWood for trying.

HP Recommended

Install the free 'VLC' DVD-player software from: www.videolan.org/vlc/

Then, insert a DVD, and Windows should offer VLC as a "possible" application to process the DVD media.

HP Recommended

@LBM5

That thread from MS indicates that their Windows Media Player, which is the DEFAULT video player in Win10, does not play DVDs unless you purchase their app from their store.

But, many of us use the free VideoLAN alternative.

So, since you were already provided the link for it, you should download it and try it out.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

WAWood, Thanks again. I installed  videolan. It did not work. I should have mentioned that the DVD player did work before.  I have no idea why it stopped.  LBM5

HP Recommended

@LBM5

Sorry to hear that did not fix the problem.  Videos need something knowns a CODECS in order to play on your PC.  Windows Media Player comes with very few CODECS, so if often can't play videos.  VideoLAN comes with MANY CODECS, and I've not found a video format it does not play.

I would suggest trying the DVD in a regular DVD player -if you have one.  You should also examine it to ensure that the underside (the side opposite the label), is clean and free of any scratches.

You should also try a different DVD that you know works.

You said it worked "before" -- before WHAT?  

Unfortunately, we have no diagnostics for checking the DVD drive to confirm that it functions properly.  If it is defective, you will need to replace it.

HP Recommended

> I installed  videolan. It did not work. I should have mentioned that the DVD player did work before.  

If you put a "music" CD into the optical drive, does it "play"?

If you put a "data" CD (any media, such as a CD that came with a printer, or a Windows CD, or a PC "game" CD), can it be opened, to "view files & folders" ?

Most DVD/CD players have separate mechanisms for reading CDs versus DVDs.

So, it's possible that the 'DVD' hardware components in your optical drive have failed, making "replacement" your only option.

HP Recommended

WAWood, Thaks again. By before I mean it was working about 4 months ago. I do not use it very often. I have 2 other DVD players and the same disc that play in them will not work in the  HP tower.  So  I  have tired discs that have worked in the tower before but will not work now. That is my dilema. The screen comes up and states place a DVD in and when I do nothing happens except after a short time it goes back to the home screen.   Just do not understand this.  LBM5

HP Recommended

> I  have tried discs that have worked in the tower before but will not work now.

> That is my dilemma.

> The screen comes up and states place a DVD in and when I do nothing happens

> except after a short time it goes back to the home screen. 

Since you can hear the drive spinning the media, it is the laser mechanism that is not working, either not sending out the laser beam, or the "receiver" not registering the reflection of the laser from the surface of the media.

Replace the CD/DVD drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.