cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PorkfatAndSpeed Tutor
Tutor
9 6 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

My XW6600 is giving my hard drive problems!

XW6600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So, after a lot of work and tinkering I made my XW6600 workstation work like a charm... or kinda.

After asking here and made it work, I bought a 2TB HDD as file storage disk but lately is bugging me off. It's been almost a year and the computer have been working perfectly until now.

The second hard drive disconnects and stops showing on Windows on certain ocassions, specially if I'm copying/writing on it.

I've tried to change the port, because it worked once before but it doesn't matter, it makes the same thing after a couple of days working fine.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
PorkfatAndSpeed Tutor
Tutor
9 6 1 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well, I know I didn't give much information, but I think I might have found the problem.

I first though that it could be a motherboard problem (I don't know, maybe some incompatibilities with some HDD that I didn't know about), but seemed unlikely because everything else, SSD included, works fine. So I tried to google my HDD model with "bug" or "problem".

My bad luck with hard drives is legendary. Really, the only two (1, 2) hard drives that I bought in the last years, all of them had firmware problems. Well, even the SSD () have one, fixed partially by firmware update.

So, I found an old SATA PCI controller, and tried connecting the HDD to it and... still the same problem. Time to search something about this hard drive.

I found this thread in T's H and they solution they found is to change the power settings to "never stop".

I hope some of you find this useful.

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,696 1,591 153 467
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can you please be specific exactly what setting in the xw6600 BIOS you are talking about.  I find no such setting anywhere, and am wondering how you actually set your xw6600 up.  Or, is this just a reference to another type of computer and BIOS?

Thanks much.

0 Kudos
PorkfatAndSpeed Tutor
Tutor
9 6 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It isn't on the BIOS. Windows doesn't let you manage power settings for individual HDD.

Here is what I did.

Burn a CD with freedos and wdidle3.exe and change the power settings with

wdidle3 /d

More information and ISO download here

WD Green propietaries beware, these HDD are defective by default.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation