Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
30 1 1
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My Xeon cpu is running too hot, does the PS suck in or blow out?

HP Z400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I run my HP Z400 in a CPU intensive environment.   I run it as part of the BOINC research network.

It feels like the power supply is not blowing out the back of the machine.  Is it sucking?

When I was running it without a heat "TThrottle" (this is an application that "slows" the CPU was it gets too hot) it ate 1 or 2 hard drives.  I now run a Raid 1 setup so that when (not if) it eats the next drive (its up to 3 now) it is fairly easy to rebuild and go on.

My issue is heat.  Apparently, the interior of the computer case is too hot for the hard drives.

I have the CPU throttled down to what appears to be the maximum sustainable temperature for the CPU.  This limits my CPU processing load to about 30% of its actual capacity.

So I need to cool the CPU better AND I need to cool the case better.

I have on order the fan ($10) for the front of the case.  And a replacement CPU cooler fan ($29) and CPU ($19) in case I fry something.

The only thing I haven't tried is re-thermal pasting the CPU.  I am looking for some paste now.

I am reluctant to upgrade to a Liquid Cooling System ($150+) because I am price sensitive (read retired/poor).

I really want to get the CPU back to processing near 100%.

Any ideas I have missed?

Thanks,

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation