Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP p2-1310
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Everytime I try to install updates on my desk top computer it tries to install them, but then a message comes on the screen unable to install updates undoing changes do not turn off your computer. I have updates that need to be installed but they can't install.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @scoulon, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues updating windows on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click Start, and then click Settings.
The Settings menu opens.
Click Update & security.
Click Recovery, and then under Advanced startup, click Restart now.
The Choose an option screen opens. From the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click Restart.

The computer restarts and another Startup Settings screen opens showing a list of different startup options.
Choose the safe mode option you want from the Startup Settings menu:

Press the 5 key for Enable Safe Mode with Networking. Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows in Safe Mode with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.

Well, once you have got out of the reboot loop and entered Safe Mode of your desktop, you have 3 options:

1] Run Command Prompt as administrator. In the CMD box that appears on the computer screen, enter the following strings of text, one at a time, and hit Enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

Now browse to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete all the files and folders inside.

Restart your computer. It should be able to boot to Desktop.

2] Open Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates. Here you may uninstall the offending update which you may have installed recently, just before your problem started.

3] If the issue still persists try performing a system restore on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

I'll watch your reply!

Hope you have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Did not fix the problem. Then I tried to do a system restore and it would only allow me to go back a few hours not a few weeks. I needed to restore to about a month ago.
HP Recommended

scoulon

Try running boot time hardware diagnostics. Run all tests.

Also run a disk check on the operating system drive.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.