Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
J0C12EA#AB9
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, sometimes, when my computer is puggled to the charge and the charging cables starts to come out or if I move it, my computer screen goes completely black. It is not due to brightness, as I have already checked. It switches from whathever I am doing in my computer, either it being writing a word document or whatching a movie, to completly black screen, back to what I was doing, back to black.... and that happens a about five times in a row.

I wanted to know if there is anything that I can do or whether it is a malfunction of the computer... I am worried it will stop working at any time.

Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SusanaLC

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

It could be either of two problems:

1) Malfunctioning charger that is overpowering your PC's charging circuit

2) Failing charging circuit in your PC

As to the first, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00363266?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0006

If that shows the charger as OK, then it's most likely the second and unfortunately, we have no way of testing or diagnosing your PC from here, and there are no diagnostics you can run yourself to check that circuit.

Instead, you would have to take the PC to a computer repair shop and see what they can do to run diagnostics on it.

Here is information on HP Service Centers, if you want to check them out:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Hi,
Just wanted to ask if this could be anything about the software it self? Because it actually happened once without it being connected to the charger... so now I'm thinking that it can be the software and is there any way of me checking that side as well?
Thank you
HP Recommended

The "Power" settings for your notebook have the ability to set different "screen-brightness" levels when operating on battery power versus operating on AC power.

So, if you have (accidentally?) set the "brightness" to "zero" when on battery, then the "intermittent disconnect" of the AC power can cause the power-settings to switch back-and-forth from "zero" to "normal".

Or, you may have a problem with the cable that connects the motherboard to the monitor.  It transmits the video information.  When you MOVE the computer, you might be flexing that cable, causing a temporary loss of continuity, and thus making the screen go "black".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.