Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1on1im Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My system is not recognizing pocket media disks or any other external usb drive.

HP Pavilion Model m9150f

For some reason it no longer recognizes My Pocket Media Disks or exteral usb drive!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
85 85 12 32
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My system is not recognizing pocket media disks or any other external usb drive.

I have had a similar issue with my home computer doing this to an external drive and my Android phone. The external drive I ended up having to plug it in thru an IEEE 1394 (firewire) port for it to recognize. I suspect the issue you are running into is very similar to mine. Is your external drive's power supplied by the computer or does it have an external power source? Same for the pocket media drive. If youa re running them off of the computer power, the motherboard may no longer be supplying enough power to it to activate as it once did (assuming it worked fine like this before). 

Some things to try: 

1. Unplugging the external drives for a few seconds and plugging them in. 

2. Use the USB ports on the back of the computer. Regardless of brand, I've found these work much better for external storage devices than front ports. 

3. Make sure you have drivers installed if they are supplied by the manufacturer.

4. You can also go into Device Manager and uninstall USB controllers, USB Composite Device and USB Root Hub. Restart the computer and Windows will reload all of them. Test it out then and see if that helps.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking the answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
Al_12345 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is what I did for my pocket drive that has not been detected by my pc.

I got my dremel tool out, put on a new cutting disk, and cut carefully along the flat side edge of the drive. I cut away the metal part to free up the driver inside. When I took it out it had four screws holding the front and back side of the driver together. (one side consisted of the front lit side, and the back plug side with a detachable small circuit board) The plug end side come apart as you pull gently. This will expose the computer plug ins for the driver. One that will provide the power from the pc s wire harness along with the wire that plugs into the board itself for hard drives. I had re-installed this and the device was recognized. I believe the issue was related to the back plug in board of the pocket driver. When I installed the driver permanently into the pc, I backed up all my files to a folder on my pc just incase it ever failed again. My system was an HP vista, and upgraded to Lenovo. Right next to the hard drive is this plastic pull out to add another driver, and with those four screws that came out of the driver, I was able to re-attach it with ease to that plastic pull out.

My point is that if the driver was not detected it has something to do with that small curcuit board where the plug had once gone to.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation