cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tcrouch
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NVIDIA NVS 315 1GB video card installation

I'm going to install a new Nvidia NVS 315 1GB graphics card into my new HP ProDesk. I'm assuming that I install it like any other PCI card then run the driver install CD. There's no documentation or instruction that came with it so I'm assuming that's all I do. I'll make a system restore point before I do anything. Is there something I'm missing or is my method sound?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Level 20
Level 20
111,820 101,997 15,998 24,575
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should first go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters section, right click on the graphics adapter you see there and select uninstall.

If there is a box to uninstall the driver as well, check that box.

Do not restart the PC. Shut it down, unplug it and install your new video card as you intended.

Failure to uninstall the old video card in the device manager can lead to problems.

0 Kudos
tcrouch
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I'll still make a restore point for redundancy.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
tcrouch
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If I delete the original video driver, then restart, will the new card install drivers at startup? I have a CD-ROM with drivers. Kind of a chicken or egg coming first question.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You will have to install the drivers for the new video card after you are in Windows.

You install the video card first, then start the PC. Windows will load a standard vga driver, so you have a basic display, and then you should install the grahics driver from the CD.

0 Kudos
tcrouch
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks again
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation