Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi Steinberger
Did you update your bios to 3.88?
HP Recommended
Hi iedjie, I think the version 3.88 is for Z820 or other Z workstations, the latest bios of Z230 is 1.54 and I have updated it during solving the problem. Regards! Stein
HP Recommended

Did you disable Secure Boot in the bios?

HP Recommended
Yes. Just tried, still cant found ssd in the storage item on bios.
HP Recommended
Mmm... perhaps your bios might be the cause of that. But I'm not sure. Mass storage in bios is in EFI mode?
HP Recommended
Yes. I also have tried to format the disk as a GTP mode. It still don't work
HP Recommended

Anyone can help me? PLZ!

HP Recommended

scarr500 I have a question regarding what you wrote about Samusng SM951 NVME booting in zx20 series. You specifically wrote that it is not natively bootable, but does it mean there is some way to make it bootable at all? I have z420 that does not seem to see SM951 NVME under BIOS at all. 

HP Recommended

I wanted to reiterate the fact that the BIOS in any of the Zx20 series workstaitons does not have the ability to see an NVME controller as a boot device. This feature was added to the Zx40 series

The Zx20 workstations support HP Z Turbo Drive G1 SSD cards (PCI-e with AHCI controller)

The  Zx40 workstations support HP Z Turbo Drive G1 and G2 SSD cards (PCI-e with AHCI controller and NVME - G2)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

@soccer_dan wrote:

I wanted to reiterate the fact that the BIOS in any of the Zx20 series workstaitons does not have the ability to see an NVME controller as a boot device. This feature was added to the Zx40 series

The Zx20 workstations support HP Z Turbo Drive G1 SSD cards (PCI-e with AHCI controller)

The  Zx40 workstations support HP Z Turbo Drive G1 and G2 SSD cards (PCI-e with AHCI controller and NVME - G2)

This is incorrect. Samsung 950 Pro NVMe works fine as a boot drive in a Z420 running 3.90 or 3.91 bios (haven't checked earlier versions).

Going for a full install from a USB drive formated with Rufus containing Windows 10 Pro, it was first necessary to have all the compatibility settings in the bios in Legacy mode (there are 3 settings as far as I remember) for the USB drive containing windows isntallation to be recognized.

The NVMe drive shows up in the installation and just prior to Windows installation it is worthwhile to install the Samsung NVMe drivers (best to download them and also have them on the USB drive)

Once Windows is installed and the system reboots it is then necessary to go into the bios again and change all the 3 compatibility options back to UEFI and remove the USB drive and one is good to go.

The system will not boot up from the new drive if the bios settings are not changed back to UEFI mode - it will just hang after post, or if the USB Windows isntallation drive has not been removed it will just be in a loop of trying to install Windows again off the usb drive.

Drive shows up in the bios fine, also is visible in HP Performance Advisor - is (incorrectly) listed asa  ZTurboDrive  G2 (NVMe) with Samsung NVMe Controller.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.