Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a HP Envy 750-124 computer, and needed to upgrade the power supply unit so that I can use my GeForce GTX 760 video card in it. The card requires a 400w power supply, but the computer only has a 300w power supply and no extra cable to actually plug into a video card. Searching around, I see that it is a uATX, but I can't seem to locate any power supply units that have a 4 pin (square) plug for the motherboard, 24 Pin (rectangle) plug for the motherboard, SATA plug for the HD, small plug for the Ultra Slim Tray SuperMulti DVD Burner (has the same 'L' shape as the SATA connectors, only very small, labelled 'P5' on the connector), as well as the x6x2 connectors for video card.

Can I get a better power supply unit directly from HP (anywhere from 400-600w)? If so, where can I find them on the website? My searches have turned up very little so far. If HP doesn't seel these, is there somewhere I can find a compatible power supply, or have I just wasted $811.00 on something I can't upgrade?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The P5 connector is the molex 4 pin standard used for older model hard drives.

PATA hard drives and most other IDE devices use a standardized, 4-conductor power connector like the one shown at the right, which is called a Molex or P5 connector. This connector is becoming a lot less common as SATA displaces PATA as the drive interface standard for desktop computers.

Molex.JPG

If this agrees with what you need then here's a nice Corsair CX500 for you.

1 x 24-Pin main connector
1 x 8-Pin EPS12V CPU
2 x PCI-E
5 x SATA
4 x Peripheral---------------------------this is the old style 4 pin Molex.
1 x Floppy

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You will not find a PSU with the thin DVD power connector.  If you search the forum you should find the adapter cable as this question has already been answered before.  I believe NEWEGG carries this cable.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I tried searching, but maybe I didn't use the right words; all I came up with was someone had some kind of fluid leak on their PSU and another had an unrelated issue with their 750-124. Just to make sure I am talking about the same thing, I took a couple of pics on my camera. From the sound of it, Big_Dave answered the question, I think, but here are the pics to make sure I don't spend more money on something I may not need:

Comp Pic 1.jpg

And here is a pic of the actual connection slot (sorry for the brightness, my cell phone light isn't adjustable). The opening where it connects is that same "L" shape as the SATA connections, but is of course MUCH smaller:

Comp Pic 2.jpg

*Edit: Also, if someone could tell me the name fo this type of connector, or the name of the converter I need, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!*

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your photos could be clearer but the cables going to the DVD drive are power and data.  The cables are reduced in size to to the thin construction of the DVD drive.

Most of the specialized connectors that are used by HP are "pigtail" adapters.  You might check the "pigtails" for a part number tag.

The bottom connector that you posted an image of is a SATA connector due to it's shape and the number of contacts.  The top connector is power and there should be a posted adapter cable on the forum.  I believe that it was "tagged" but then I could be wrong.

Perhaps like this adapter cable.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Sorry about the picture quality; it's probably due to a combination of the brightness of the light, combined with the fact that my hands naturally shake (even if just a small bit). After many, many combinations of terms in the search function of the forums, I think I finally figured out what it is: A slimline SATA, which means I will need a slimline SATA to SATA connector. Looking at NewEgg, I thinkI will need something along the lines of this: slimline_sata_to_sata_power , just not that long. The smaller bit (the Slimeline SATA) looks to be about the exact size I needed for the DVD player/burner, and the 'male' SATA will fit into one of the spare SATA power connectors, although I guess I could go with one that has a slimline SATA to PATA adapter (shown in the picture of the first reply after the original post), as I have some of those connectors available.

Looking at the actual Slimline SATA connector, I think there was an error when the plastic shell for the connector was molded; it juts has some small rectangles in what looks like an attempt at braille. Still, I'm positive that it's a Slimline SATA connector now; not only does it have that "L" shape in the connector, but it's also the right size ratio to the SATA in that picture.

HP Recommended

For anyone doing this

I have a Corsair CX500 and after adding three drives to my system I was left with a molex power so I used this adapter from amazon

Syba SATA to Mini SATA Cable with Molex Power Adapter (CL-CAB40042)

HP Recommended
hi there i have a same problem ,
so.. did you change a psu? please let me know what's psu fitable to your envy, thanks
HP Recommended

xeon666

Read my post right above yours. I put in a Corsair CX500 and used the adapter shown to connect to dvd

HP Recommended

That adapter for the mini SATA was most helpful. I have the 750-124 too, and I wanted to update to a better PSU and Graphics Card as well. Thank you! I already have a PSU (630w/730w peak), so I just ordered the adapter and card. Did a Nvidia GTX 950. :OpenSmile:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.