cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Varadar
Level 4
174 96 1 8
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Need Help in Clean install Windows 10 pro 64-bit?

HP Pavilion Slimline s3760in D
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

For last few months i am running windows 10 pro where i had upgrade from windows 8.1 pro 32-bit to windows 10 pro 32-bit. So my system is activated in windows 10 pro and it is genuine.

When i checked in System type it says 32-bit Operating system, x64-based processor.  Out of 4GB RAM only 3.12GB RAM is usable.

That means my processor supports 64-bit OS. Therefore i am planning to clean install windows 10 pro and install 64-bit version so that i can utilize all the 4GB RAM.

Therefore went to media creation tool and downloaded Mediacreation Toolx64 but when i try to run the app it shows error "This app cant run on your pc". But Mediacreation Tool for 32-bit runs smoothly. i think since my current OS is 32-bit therefore mediacreation toolx64 is not running.

So i was wondering if i run mediacreation tool 32-bit and choose "create media installation for another pc" and chose architecture both (32-bit and 64-bit) then while clean installing of windows 10 pro OS will i get the option to chose between 64-bit version and 32-bit version?

2]  Already my windows 10 pro is activated in 32-bit version, will i get any product key error when i clean install windows 10 pro for 64-bit version?

3] Will my windows 10 pro 64-bit will be activated? since my windows 10 pro is activated in 32-bit version.

One of the note of Microsoft says "Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer. "

Note
  • If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 14
Level 14
6,936 6,932 719 2,765
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1. You can create the media on any other system and then do a clean installation of Windows 10 64 bit on your system.

2. You can install Windows 10 64-bit and activate it on your system. The key needed is inserted into the motherboard.

3. Your Windows 10 64-bit would be activated.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Level 10
Level 10
1,483 1,413 144 966
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

If you use the MCT to create a 64 bit image, you will be able to install it but the activation will not work.  Since the free upgrade only works for same versions of Win8 to Win10, you will need to buy the 64 bit OS from Microsoft.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Level 10
Level 10
1,483 1,413 144 966
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Vidya,   you can't go from 32-bit to 64-bit using the free upgrade.  The activation is for 32-bit only. 

-wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
CharlesMSFT
Level 3
15 15 4 7
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HI Varadar,

You have it right, you pick the installer for the media creation tool that matches your current system, but then create media for another PC and pick 64-bit or both.  I'd pick 64-bit.

Yes, what you plan should work.  Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 32-bit and verified Windows 10 32-bit is activated, you can use media install to switch over to Windows 10 64-bit.  But... I might ask you to wait a month.  It has been reported on sites that an update for Windows 10 is due out in November.  This update will include some of the changes and fixes that we have already released to our Insider Testing group.  The recent blog post is here and scroll down read about the Activation stuff.  We also further wrote about the changes including info about your task in our own forum.

While what you want to do should work right now today, if there is any problem or bug there is no backup.  But if you wait a bit, then the backup as explained will use your Windows 8.1 Pro key in your HP motherboard.

I hope that helps,

Charles

I am a Microsoft Employee
Varadar
Level 4
174 96 1 8
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

During installaion skip the key part and once the installaion is complete, windows is activated

0 Kudos
Level 10
Level 10
1,483 1,413 144 966
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So I'm wrong.  I defer to Vidya and Charles!

-wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Varadar
Level 4
174 96 1 8
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Charles,

thanks for the link regarding "recent blog post is here" and "microsoft forum". But in the forum last question were

Q:  Can I activate Windows 10 using my Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key after the free upgrade offer has expired?

A:  No, you cannot activate Windows 10 using your prior OS version product keys after the free upgrade offer expires.  Any Windows 10 device activated during the free upgrade period will remain activated for the rest of the device’s lifetime.

So my Question is that if i activated my hp laptop i.e. HP Envy K203tx Notebook which was brought 3 months back and it came with preinstalled windows 8.1. If i upgrade to windows 10 and after 2 years i expreience some problem and if i use hp recovery manager by during factory settings  then it will  revert back to windows 8.1 then again i need to upgrade my system fro windows 8.1 to windows 10 at that time windows 10 wont activate because free upgrade offer is expired ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CharlesMSFT
Level 3
15 15 4 7
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey Varadar,

What we were trying to say was that a downlevel product key only qualifies for a free upgrade to Windows 10 during the promo.  But, if you already did the upgrade to Windows 10, then we register a Windows 10 Entitlement for your PC and for the life of that PC you can clean install Windows 10 and we will activate you based on that registered entitlement.

Wow, when I try to clarify it just sounds even worse.  Another try...

The Promo period is about users upgrading to Win10 for free for the first year.  During that free year, we grant those Windows 10 entitlements either becasue you were on a downlevel OS that was genuine and activated, or the new feature coming will grand that free entitlment by proving you own a download OS license when you enter your Win7 or Win8 keys.  But, once you have done the proof once, that PC is entitled to Windows 10 for its life.

Hope that helped. This stuff is really hard to be clear about and also be precise.

Charles

I am a Microsoft Employee
Varadar
Level 4
174 96 1 8
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for helping it and appreciate your effort.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation