Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (1,560 Views)

Need help with HP wireless network card

I purchased a HP FH971AA Wireless PCIe x1 network card.  Installed it in my new HP Pavilion P6210Y desktop (windows 7, 64 bit).  The hardware shows up in the device manager and its status is "working properly".  Also, the most updated driver is installed.  Problem is, I can't configure the network card to my system so I can't get wireless service.  What do I do to resolve this????????

One more thing:  I installed the network card in place of the pc's modem.  Is this an acceptable pcie slot to use?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 11 (1,572 Views)

Re: Need help with HP wireless network card

The modem slot you used should not be a problem.  If the device manager is reporting the card is working properly, then it's likely not the hardware.  When  you say you can't get to see your system, do you mean it doesn't see any available networks?  Is your network encrypted or open?  If you have it secured, switch it to open and see if the card sees the network.  If not, there's likely an issue with the card.  If it does, then something is amiss in your encryption settings.  I am assuming you have the antenna hooked up.
Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (1,569 Views)

Yes the antenna is hooked up.  How do i switch the network to open?  Please explain and i'll try it.
Teacher
Message 4 of 11 (1,558 Views)

I'm assuming here that you are using a router, which your system is not connecting with.  If so, you'll need to follow the router manusfacturer's instructions for disabling security on the router such that you don't need to enter a password to connect, etc.  Are other wireless computers able to connect to the router?
Top Student
Message 5 of 11 (1,553 Views)

The only thing hooked up is a Motorola modem which i guess also serves as the router.  Every other pc in the office can connect to the internet but my new one.  Shouldn't that mean it's not password protected or blocked?
Teacher
Message 6 of 11 (1,549 Views)

If they don't have to have a password to get in...yes.  What does the Network Setup Wizard or the like tell you when it tries to find a wireless network?
Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (1,542 Views)

Whats happening is that the wireless card is labeled as "disabled" and when we click to enable it, it goes throught the enabling process but won't actually enable the card.  It continues to stay listed as disabled.
Grad Student
Message 8 of 11 (1,532 Views)

I'm a bit confused. In your first post you said the device was reported as working properly but in your last response you say it is disabled. What errors are you seeing? Are you getting an error code? Also, you said the only other thing hooked up is a Motorola modem. Is it hooked up to the router? Is it wireless?
PhD Student
Message 9 of 11 (1,446 Views)

BTW, this system needs the following update so do install it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

You will need to click on this link to choose between 32 vs 64-bit

Show hotfixes for all platforms and languages (2)

Student
Message 10 of 11 (1,368 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you get this card to work?

I'm considering it for my system

Pavilion Elite e9250t windows 7 64 bit

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation