Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

System:Hp 110/210 energy star win 8.1 64 Bit

Purchaed in march of 2015.

Burned recovery image fiel/and recover media image file to thumb drives on march 30th 2015.

Only had this computer for about 4 months befoe noticing some glitches including the computer going into a disc check upon powering it up this happened a couple times.

I had noticed I was not getting messages for updates through microsoft for some time before a crash in late december 2016.

December 2016 had a crash was given a blue screen mesage that read bad sectores on hard drive,did system recovery from image on hard drive,as I did not know you have to boot the recovery image file from the BIOS (recovery media image file)upon the recovery via the image on the hard drive I had to download updates for windows this amounted to close to 8 hours worth of waiting for them to install over 200 updates.

This tells me there was something wrong long before my crash on December 27 2016,and I just did not notice.

After downloading and installing 247 windows updates the updater refuses to update when I do a maual scan,I check through HP action center a troubleshoot the problem still no updates afterwards it just hangs,also automatic maintanence continues to run some sort of process.

January 29th 2017 after I had ordered a new hard drive,I run DSP self test through the BIOS(Hewlett-Packard setup utility) and confirm the hard drive is bad.

February 2,2017 I install the new hardrive and after finding out to recover your O.S. you have to use the same image file that is partitioned to the hard drive I'm finally back up my operating system is set up and I get updates but...

I have troubles getting them to install I do the trouble shooting fix a problem well there were 2 listed.

Februar 5,2017 end conclusion the hard drive on this computer was bad upon delivery in March 2015,the image files I burned on the 30th of March 2015 are corrupt,I've noticed if I use my browser that when I exit the internet the browser closes and is not listed as still runing in task manager but...

If I open an off line program and close it it stays open or is listed as still running when its not suppose to be.

After trying to download updates the scan continues to run and hang,I opened HP support assistant to find a message telling me to turn on windows update well it was already on.

In short I'm convinced the hard drive was bad from the point of it being delivered to my home brand new,its obviouse this is true as I'm still haveing troubles with windows updates and it will never be right until I get repacement image files. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Tim68TJ

The problems you're having with Windows Update have nothing to do with the hard drive, as they are commonplace now with Win7 and Win8 PCs.

I have run into the same problems, and have worked through the solution below ...

Download these updates before starting the installation process and copy them to a USB flash drive.

KB Links:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Once you have these updates saved, disconnect the network cable or disable the WiFi.

Install these updates from the flash drive before connecting to the network and running Windows Update.

You have to stop the Windows Update service BEFORE installing each of these. You do that by opening a command window and entering: net stop wuauserv

Note: If you have a problem with KB3172605, post back as there is a separate fix for that.

Then, after you re-enable Windows Update, it should only take 2-4 hours to find and do the updates, not days.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info I'll give that a shot I wander why the DSP self check told me my drive was bad?

As the crow flies the other KB you mentioned was not listed so I may be alright just running these updates as you suggested,man I have to tell you this is apain the you know what!

HP Recommended

> February 5,2017 -- conclusion the hard drive on this computer was bad upon delivery in March 2015,

Usually, when a disk-drive is "bad", it's only a few sectors, out of literally millions, that are "bad".

One can hope that the "recovery" set that you created came only from "good" sectors on your disk-drive.

But, let's not make that assumption.

From: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-110-Desktop-PC-series/5399643/model/6529728/document/c0407779...

your computer was manufactured on/after 3-January-2014, and is HP-certified to run Windows 10.

> the image files I burned on the 30th of March 2015 are corrupt ...

Under that presumption, to get a "replacement", either:

1. Contact HP, you _might_ be able to purchase a "System Recovery" set for the original Windows 8.

This "set" is either one 16GB USB memory-stick, or a few DVD disks.

Boot your computer, telling it to boot from USB or DVD, as appropriate, to reinstall the original Operating System.

Or,

2. Purchase the "retail" version of Windows 10, and install it, by booting from this media.

Or,

3. If you need the "Accessibility" features of Windows 10, e.g., "Screen Magnifier", "Screen Reader", et cetera,

you can still update to Windows 10 for free.  Microsoft makes this offer, because they want all people with those needs to benefit from those features in Windows 10.

The advantage of installing/upgrading to Windows 10 is that it contains all updates from the release-date of Windows 10 through mid-July 2016 -- many fewer updates have been issued since that date.

[Yesterday, I had to re-install Windows 10 (the July 2016 Anniversary Update) on a new disk-drive on a computer.  After the install, I ran Windows Update.  It found only 4 updates (Flash, Anti-Virus, one small one, and one "cumulative" package), and those updates installed in under 2 hours. Windows Update now says that this computer is "up to date".  This is much much much better than how Windows Update functions in Windows Vista or 7 or 8!]

> ... still having troubles with Windows updates, and it will never be right until I get replacement image files. 

It's probable that the Operating System on the original disk-drive included all the updates from the first release-date of Windows 8 until January 3, 2014, even though you purchased the computer in in March 2015.

On April 8, 2014, Microsoft released the "Windows 8.1 Update", which included all past updates plus new features.

So, it's possible that your disk-drive, from March 2015, contained Windows 8.1, rather than the original Windows 8.

But, still, between March 2015 and today (February January 2017), there will literally be "hundreds" of updates.

Doing anything over 200 times, from push-ups to eating a meal, will take a long time.

Recommendation: please have "patience" while Windows Update is running in Windows 8.

With a new, and "good", disk-drive, it will successfully complete.

Or, consider Windows 10.

HP Recommended

None of the stand alones would load there doesn't seem to be much in the way of anything but Win 7 64 bit the stand alone listed as -R2 doesn't apply to my system thsi is the message I got on all three.

So I'm not sure what to do now?

HP Recommended

I am using 8.1 I hope I didn't do a type "o" there in the original post.

After the crash in December 2016 I had 247 critical updates.

This Friday I had about 70,but I do not remember it taking this long to download the updates and install them (I guess to a temp file)and then restart to install.

Should I expect to wait multiple hours?

I'm not being smart or sarcastic but I figured if were going to get pumeled with the same number of updates(200+) wouldn't that had happend once I got my new HD put in and the operating system set up?

I guess I need to let it run until it is finished then,at least it is telling me there are updates avaiilable at this point,I'll post an update after let it run thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

> pummeled with the same number of updates(200+) wouldn't that had happened once I got my new HD put in and the operating system setup?

Yes.  Windows Update will find all the updates from the version of Windows stored on the installation media up to today's date, and will want to download & apply them.

Note that more updates for Windows will be released at 10 AM (Pacific) on Tuesday, February 14, 2017.

[That is the "second Tuesday" of the month -- the standard day for Microsoft to release updates.]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.