Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 1 (268 Views)

Need suggestion in how to set up Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V

I want to set up a testing machine using Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V.   Here is my machine information:

HP Pavilion Elite e9150t PC
•  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI Technology)
• 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
• 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Wireless-N LAN card
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
• No TV Tuner w/remote control
• Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
• HP 2.1 30W stereo speakers with subwoofer and remote control
• HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

I mainly use this machine to test SQL Server.  I will also try other MS products like SCOM and Sharepoint.  I may want to try out VMware since it is quite commonly used.   I also want to try out RAID and Clustering.

Since I only have 1 SATA drive, should I partition it into 2 partitions, one for host OS and one for VMs?  If I have one partition for the host OS and if I need to reinstall the OS for any reason, how should I do it so I don't need to reset up all the VMs again?

I have a spare IDE 80G drive but I'm not sure whether I can add it to this machine.

If I'm going to get another drive later, what should I get and how should I set it up for my purpose?

Thanks for any suggestion.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation