Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (473 Views)

Network driver

Ok so I installed a new hard drive on my Hp pavilion dm4-2165dx laptop and when I installed windows 7 none of the drivers were on there. I went to the hp website and downloaded all the drivers for my model. ALL of them worked except the network drivers... When I go to devices-laptop pc - properties - hardware the only error messages I get are "network controller" and "unknown device"... My internet will not work. I tried to reinstall them multiple times. What is the problem?
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (459 Views)

Re: Network driver

Hi:

Please do this...

Go to the device manager.

Click on the Network Controller device. 

At the top of the Network Controller window, click on the Details tab.

Now you see a Property drop down list that is defaulted to Device Description.

Drop down on that and select the second item (Hardware ID's).

Now you see 3-4 lines of characters, the top line starting with PCI\VEN.

Post that top line of characters.

You can do that for the unknown device too and I will post the link to the driver for it as well.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (449 Views)

Network controller:
PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_0084&SUBSYS_13158086&REV_00

Unknown device: ACPI/HPQ004
Provost
Message 4 of 6 (444 Views)
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (430 Views)

I just tried. Those two drivers will not install. It keeps saying it didn't install properly try with recommended settings... Still doesn't work. I have all windows closed when I try this so nothing is intruprting it. I have restarted it and everything.
Provost
Message 6 of 6 (417 Views)

Sorry that didn't work.

Try the wireless driver directly from Intel.  The second file listed is for W7 64 bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3141&DwnldID=23491&ProductFamily=Wire...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation